Gas or Electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite certain where to post this but it is an addition to the central heating....

Have a gas fire at present that juts into the room but is efficient. It has a glass front .

Looking to replace it in my precast flue with a modern inset fire. Advice please on which type of fire, gas or electric is efficient(cheaper) and warmer to run. The models I am looking at have an electric and gas option for the same model.

Sponsored Links
gas or electric is efficient(cheaper) and warmer to run

What are you looking for from your fire? (Apart from heat, obviously!!) If you want to sit round something that gives off radiant heat then probably gas will be better. If you're just looking for general purpose room heating then electric may be better.

It's all down to personal choice. As far as economy is concerned, depends how hot you have it! I don't think there's a lot to choose between them these days. I have a feeling that gas may work out more expensive but I stand to be corrected. Electricty is approx 7p per kW hour so work out your running costs from that.

topgazza said:
but is efficient.

did you mean that? What do you mean by it anyway!!

If the builders opening is small (behind the fire) you need a fire rated for use with that.

Gas fires are only 60 - 70 % efficient I think - but still cheaper than lecktrik.

Sponsored Links
We only use the fire on those very nippy evenings to take the chill off . Partly decorative as well of course with the "dancing flames" giving the room a bit of atmosphere. I always turn it right down and the wife does the opposite of course.

By efficient I guess I mean balancing the heat with cost. Instinctively and traditionaly electric is more expensive but in terms of output and cost I suspect they are very close now days anyway.

The current fire with its glass front is the more "efficient" type of fire according to all the ratings because most of the heat is drected , vented, into the room from the top front of the fire but these are not available with the inset fires. Probably due the lack of front vent for heat and rear for the fumes which the floor standing fires have.

Electric or gas have their pros and cons in looks its the running cost that is difficult to judge

Build a coal bunker in your back yard, fill with coal,
employ a 3ft welsh dwarf to hump the coal from bunker to fire for u,
sit back and enjoy the warmth and cheapness of a real fire...:)

If the room is big enough minimum of 30cubmetres ,you could have an inset coal effect flueless gas fire, they are 100% efficient, mine works a treat and looks great with my oldywordy timber surround, you would need to block off your existing precast flue at the bottom and fit a 100cm2 vent in the wall, ours is behind the telly so no draught and vents the telly, sat,video,theatre system,dvdrecorder.

Morning Kev, Took about 4 years to find a surround we liked, then we had to find a hearth and panel, all came together last xmas, just starting to use it again, well pleased with it, wasnt sure about the fitter though, kept trying it on with my missis when she bent over to hoover up the mess :LOL: ;)

I've done some research into this as we're trying to decide on an electric or gas fire. Having asked a few electricians/people in the gas trade and checked on the Internet, in terms of heat, gas will probably give out a more "substantial" heat.

In terms of cost, gas works out to be up to half the price of electricity ... much cheaper on the whole!

Personally, I'd go for gas every time.

Cheers guys. Lots to look and at and debate with the wife. Pleanty of online sites that sell fires a lot cheaper than fireplace outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back