Advice please: Close Couples Toilet WITHOUT a fixing plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I've had a bathroom suite for over a year and just about to install the toilet (don't ask why so long!).

The toilet is made by Heritage and is a regular close coupled W.C.

I initially checked to see that the pottery was not cracked etc and placed everything in the box,
not realising that the fittings supplied where incorrect.

The supplied bottom inlet valve and siphon are French Wincom/Jollyfill.

The bottom inlet valve and siphon did not sit comfortably in the cistern.

So I've brought a Flushmaster and that has solved that problem.

The siphon came without any instructions whatsoever.

The siphon is a regular siphon but the fittings are not the traditional
metal fixing plate along side the doughnut.

TWO QUESTIONS

Q1

Can someone explain how the following fittings should be attached - the cistern has TWO holes for
bolts to go through into the pan.

This is what has been supplied;

1] 2 x long brass bolts with slotted heads

2] 2 x odd looking plastic washers - one side has a raised star pattern, and on the other side is an indent.

3] 2 x thick rubber washers - conical shape on one side - flat on the other.
*** It looks like these rubber washers sit in the indented side of the odd looking plastic washers (2 above).

4] 2 x brass nuts

5] 2 x brass wing nuts

6] 2 x small black rubber washers

7] 4 x white hard plastic washers

8] 2 x metal washers

Q2

Am I right in saying that the siphon should be fitted like this;

The large black thick "ribbed" washer is placed with the ribbed side facing the pan INSIDE the cistern.

The siphon goes through the ribbed washer (flat side to body of siphon)

The large siphon nut screws underneath to hold the siphon in place.

Then the doughnut is pushed onto the threaded siphon outlet OVER the large siphon nut.

The conical shape of the doughnut goes into the pan.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I would like to get this up and running without any leaks, but I am dubious about the brass bolts supplied,
and if they will have enough pressure to make a good tight seal (I had brought a close coupled fixing kit
but the heavy duty bolts were not long enough).

Regards, Stephen

Sponsored Links
If it's a bolt through, normally goes..

Bolt, metal washer, rubber cone, put these through cistern and pan.

Then from under, rubber washer, metal washer then wing nut/nut.

Q2 is absolutely correct :p
Q1 - I often make my own from 6mm A4 stainless bar, but yours will go something like this:
Take the long brass screw - add a large washer (brass / stainless). Add the tapered rubber washer, taper down to pass through the ceramic.
Pass through the ceramic, add another rubber washer followed by another washer. Tighten this assembly with a nut.
(The washers should be of the same diameter as the rubber washers if possible, to compress them).
Do the same to the other side.
When you are ready to close couple, add the doughnut washer, curved edge to the pan.
Attach the cistern to the pan, add another soft washer followed by another stainless washer, and tighten with a wing nut.
Tighten evenly on both sides.
Personally I like a ring of silicone around the doughnut - others dont.
The cistern must sit squarely on the pan - moving it about may cause leaks. In any case, silicone around any of the screw assemblies within the pan won't do any harm. The rubber washers, especially the tapered one, should be tight fitting to the brass screw.
Phew!
John :)

Sponsored Links
both the above are correct but dont silicon ANYTHING!!! theres no need if installed properly and if you ever need to change the syphon its all stuck together with silicon and every last bit would need to be scraped off to reseal or ur end up with leaks as the washers will not sit properly due to silicon. silicon is just a bodge to "get over" the problem of not installing corrrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back