Advice Please - Large cracks on wall in garage (new build)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking for some advice. I was ready to put a deposit down on a new build house yesterday however when I went in the garage I noticed to vertical cracks which run from floor to ceiling down both side walls.

The cracks have split the thermalite bricks in half (image to follow)

The cracks seem to be where the upstairs fromt wall is being supported (garage runs into the house) (again, see image)

The builder has advised that this is common and nothing to worry about however I'm a little skeptical as the property is pretty much the last one on site (approx 150 houses) but was one of the first built. The builders claim that this was due to somebody pulling out of the purchase.

Any help would be appreciated

Andy

Sponsored Links
Images

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 379
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 354
The builder is correct. It's an all too common shrinkage crack. Nothing to do with any upstairs wall, and not structurally significant.

That's not to say that the builder is not responsible though. There can be many reasons for natural shrinkage, but if the builder has used a too strong mortar mix, then he could have contributed to it.

If those mortar joints are hard (can't be scraped with a finger nail) then they are most likely stronger than the block manufacturer recommends, in which case its a quality issue and should be repaired under warranty.

I would not let it stop a house purchase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back