Advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So in the process of completely refurbing my Victorian cottage and am getting quotes for plastering.

Been quite confused by what a number of difference plasters have said. The main problem being that there is a considerable damp problem in one corner of the house. Some people are saying that they would need to insulate board over the top to stop the salts coming through, others that they could chop all the old stuff off and seal it and others that they would use some sort of recovery plaster. Will all of these options be suitable?

The other problem is the massive variation in quotes we have had. There has been a couple for around the £2000 mark per room. The rooms are only about 14m2 and ceilings will need overboarded. On the other hand there was a quote for £450 per room. (we are in the east midlands)

The lower quote was from a plaster recomended to us by a plumber that did a lot of work for us and we were very happy with. Which ends of the scale to people think is most realistic.

The source of the damp problem has been rectified (guttering).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
you haven't said what kind of walls you have weather there solid or cavity, in anycase if you have damp you should consider a proper damp proofing firm who will give you a guarantee for the work and then have the rest of the house done by one of the spreads who have quoted you, £2000 a room is way to high if you have been recommended a spread by another trade "the plumber" i would give him a try, most reputable tradesmen would only recommend somebody they know who are good if their bad it reflects on them, let him do 1 room to start with and see if your happy with his work

These cannot be "like for like" quotes, therefore not of any use for comparison. The 2K a room may be to hack off and float and set in lime plaster, the 450 may be to pva the walls and skim over them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice!

Some of the quotes were to reboard the whole room. Others said they could just skim over what is there.

Think I am just going to go with the guy the plumber recommended mainly due to how good the plumber was but also his quote was the most reasonable. He said that he will seal the damp areas before reskimming.

Not sure what he means by "seal", any ideas?

There seemed to be a bit of confusion on how to make sure the salt/damp did come back through the new skim.

ta,
Jimmy

Im not saying this guy doesnt know what he's doing, but have a quick scout through the forum at the balls ups that "pro's" have made in peoples houses, make sure that the job will last, be done using the correct methods and to a good standard.

Old victorian houses have lime plaster on the walls, this allows the walls to breathe, if you seal alot of moisture in the walls it will need to come out somewhere. If this is a large property and you can spare a few inches on the exterior walls I would have a suggestion for you that has multiple benefits, of course, only if you can afford the space.

Thanks for the advice!

Some of the quotes were to reboard the whole room. Others said they could just skim over what is there.

Think I am just going to go with the guy the plumber recommended mainly due to how good the plumber was but also his quote was the most reasonable. He said that he will seal the damp areas before reskimming.

There seemed to be a bit of confusion on how to make sure the salt/damp did come back through the new skim.

ta,
Jimmy

could mean basic pva to seal..... ask questions to him make sure you know exactly what your getting for your money.

ta,
Jimmy
just sealing the salt and damp is no good it will have to be chopped out and treated with a damp proof course

So got the plasterer back round last night to ask a bit more. He said that the seal was something a bit like a resin that will stop anything else coming through.

Does this make any more sense to anyone?

aquaseal maybe? salts will stop eventually noe that the source of damp has been fixed, not sure about sealing the wall like that, personally i think i'd be letting it dry fully the re-plastering, could consider a renovation plaster or thistle dri-coat if there is a worry of the damp coming back to haunt you but if the gutter is fixed i don't see why it cant be plastered with modern plaster? Lime was used back then (correct me if i'm wrong) because cement was yet to be invented and lime was the binder in the mix, it has the enviable quality of being breathable and therefore dealt with any moisture from having no damp proof course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back