Advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been advised by 2 different installers.. one said, get a worsester green star 18RI.. the other suggested getting a much bigger one because I have 13 rads. Is this true? I dont want to spend money and have high emissions when I dont need to. Help!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
You need to find out the heat output of each rad, add them up then add 3Kw for the HW cylinder. This will give you the size of boiler you require.

Number of radiators is immaterial, just the outputs that count.

Many factors, how well is your hose insulated? How good are your windows? How warm do you like it? Will you be heating bath water on demand, or will you have a hot water tank?
If you heat hot water on demand, you need to have around 27Kw minimum to get a decent flow of water for a bath or shower.....
Just having a larger boiler will not increase your fuel bills in itself, but having one too small will cut your bills as you never get the comfort or burn the has/oil to get it how you want it!
Heating hot water on demand saves money too....storing hot water always costs more.....
A house should be properly insulated, windows should be good and sealing well, if you haven't got that, you are going to increase the fuel bills!!
Remember to get a set temperature in the house, takes a set amount of fuel. A big boiler can burn it quicker and achieve the temperatures quicker......a smaller boiler simply takes longer. The carbon footprint is almost identical.
The larger boiler has more in reserve and will probably last longer because you can run it at a lower temperature!!! I do just that!!!

Sponsored Links
As said it depends how well the building is insulated, you can always go for the 24Ri, as with all modern boilers they modulate down to suit the load, so the running cost would be similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back