Advice re Mira Event XS Thermostatic Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Newbie here.... who knows next to nothing about plumbing/showers etc., so looking for some advice.

We are currently renovating our main bathroom and have decided to instal a shower, which we didn't have before. After getting several quotes from the local plumbers etc, we were steered towards a Mira Event XS power shower as we have a cold water tank in the loft and a separate hot water tank located downstairs in our utility room, and it was explained that it would be best with that set up.

However, went out and bought one (since I managed to get one £100 cheaper than the quote to supply!) and our last plumber came out tonight for a final quote before we commit and he has worried me a bit by stating that because the hot water tank is "pressurised", he doesn't know if the Mira Event would be compatible....tried looking on the internet, but not really sure if he's right or not.....anyone help?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if its a pressurised hot water cylinder you won't have a cws in the loft.

does it look like this
Megaflow.jpg

or this
resize.jpg

if its the first one then its no good for that system.

Thanks for the reply, seco services. Apologies....I really am totally ignorant about all things DIY/plumbing etc... The shape of the tank is probably more like the first one although it has a padded lagging sealed over the actual cylinder....the pipes etc don't look like those in the first pic, but not sure if that's just the way this one is set up or not....I can tell you that one of the pipes goes to a smallish red tank (like an oxygen cylinder or something) with a gauge on it. From what the plumber said today, it was because one of the pipes fed to this red tank that he said it was a pressurised tank.
I know the loft definitely houses the cold water tank as we had a leak from it last year as stated on the insurance claim by the plumber. Today's plumber also went up to the loft and confirmed that he could feed a pipe from that cold water tank down into the new shower.

Is there anything that I should be able to see on the cylinder that might help confirm what it is, because I do appreciate that I am probably not much help...sorry....there is a sticker on it with various handwritten info etc...would any of that help?

Also, if it helps....we already have an Mira Excel (pre 2003 model) on the same floor in our house, and I was under the impression that this too had a built in pump and had the same operating requirements as the Event...no?

Thanks again.... appreciate your help.

Today's plumber also went up to the loft and confirmed that he could feed a pipe from that cold water tank down into the new shower.

Is there anything that I should be able to see on the cylinder that might help confirm what it is, because I do appreciate that I am probably not much help...sorry....there is a sticker on it with various handwritten info etc...would any of that help?

that sounds like the benchmark sticker.
is their any other names stickers etc ?
what colour is the cylinder ?
the red ex vessel may be a sealed heating system not pressurised hot water.
then if you have pressurised water you have no need for a water tank in loft.
have you any pics ?
Also, if it helps....we already have an Mira Excel (pre 2003 model) on the same floor in our house, and I was under the impression that this too had a built in pump and had the same operating requirements as the Event...no?

Thanks again.... appreciate your help.

mira excel is a mixer shower not with a pump.
different to a event.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, seco services. Apologies....I really am totally ignorant about all things DIY/plumbing etc... The shape of the tank is probably more like the first one although it has a padded lagging sealed over the actual cylinder

help.
If it`s a fawn colour padding with a flatish top it`s just a lagging jacket on maybe a gledhill cylinder. ( can`t remember exact make )You have a roof store of water- then it must be a low pressure domestic water supply and a pressurised heating system - as the others here have said. Are you getting Gas fitters instead of Plumbers ;) . An Event will be noisy to a point - I have inherited one where I live now ..It`s not obtrusive but I would have fitted a separate (Stewart-Turner) pump in the airing cupboard , because I always do it Right ;)

Thanks again...

The cylinder is completely sealed and I can't get into it to check what colour it is. You're right about the sticker - it does say "Benchmark" on it, but there's no other names/stickers (at least not on the sealed lagging).
I've taken a couple of pics...hopefully they'll upload okay, and re the suggestion about the red tank being for the heating, not sure if its relevant, but the heating controls/timer etc. are located right outside that cupboard.

View media item 19746 View media item 19747 View media item 19748
If the pics don't upload correctly, its a blue lagging with a flat top...and the sticker does say Gledhill.....just seen Nige's response while I'm finishing this reply off - thanks.... so are we fairly certain that it is a pressurised heating system and the Event would be suitable? (if noisy, as Nige says)

Sorry, my mistake re the Excel :confused: ....just confused that 2 plumbers have such different views on the suitability of one particular shower model.
Thanks again, Kevin

Thanks again...

The cylinder is completely sealed and I can't get into it to check what colour it is.
its blue i can see it. :rolleyes:
You're right about the sticker - it does say "Benchmark" on it, but there's no other names/stickers (at least not on the sealed lagging).
I've taken a couple of pics...hopefully they'll upload okay, and re the suggestion about the red tank being for the heating, not sure if its relevant, but the heating controls/timer etc. are located right outside that cupboard.

its a gledhill see the g on the side by the label

Sorry, my mistake re the Excel :confused: ....just confused that 2 plumbers have such different views on the suitability of one particular shower model.
Thanks again, Kevin

thats just a gravity hw not pressurised so your event will be ok.

the plumber who can't see thats not a pressurised system should be slung off the job.

Cheers, both, for your replies.... will def not be going with that plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back