Advice re: temperature please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am unsure after reading a fair bit, what temperature to set the heating to on my boiler. At the moment the temperature is between 50 and 60. It has taken roughly 1.5 hours to raise the temperature in the house about 3c. If the water is 70c or above it takes about an hour to raise the temp 3c.

Question is, should the temperature of the water be higher so the house heats quicker or is it better to have the lower temperature so that the boiler condenses, although it "should" condense if the water temperature is at 70.

I guess this doesn't make a lot of sense, but really I'm asking is it better to have the CH flow at the higher or lower temperature with regards to efficiency and the amount of time the house is taking to heat up :p

Sponsored Links
Hmmm yeah so maybe more efficient to keep it steaming then?

I checked outside and the there was no steam coming from the flue (although there is when it first comes on) and I couldn't see any water dripping from the pipe into the garage guttering.

I hope you have a combi, otherwise with your boiler set at 50-60C you will never get your HW hot enough :eek:

I usually leave my boilers set on 65C.

1 1/2 hours seems too long to me to be efficiently heating up your property.

Are your rads the correct size for the boiler temp?

Sponsored Links
It's not the temperature of the water leaving the boiler which is important, it's the temperature of the water returning to the boiler. The return temperature has to be below 55°C or condensing will not occur. The return temperature will depend on the boiler's differential; some use an 11°C differential others use a 20°C differential. If your boiler is in the 11°C group you need to have the flow below 65/66°C for condensing to occur. But if you have a 20°C boiler you can run it up to 75°C and it will still condense.

The problem then is that radiators running with a 20°C differential give off about 15% less heat than specified. This may not be a problem if you have insulated the house after the rads were installed.

Yes it's a combi, I've set the hot water temp over 60 not sure at what. I have no idea if the rads are big enough or not in all honesty. The stat is on the landing, and not near any radiators.

I'll measure the living room/dining area as they are both in one room. There is a 600x1200 K2 rad at each end of the room. I do think they may be a little under sized or bordering "about right".

I'll turn the heating temp up a little too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back