Advice: Recent EPDM Flat Roof Work Up to Standard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone/people on here can help to give me a steer. We've recently had some work done to renew an old flat (felt) roof on a kitchen extension. We opted for a roofer who uses rubber (EPDM) roof: he was neither the most expensive, nor the cheapest quote, and has good reviews on checkatrade.

We have no experience with rubber roofing, so have no basis for comparison; however, we feel that the workmanship and finish aren't up to the standard we'd expect. Does anyone have experience with (or ideally training on) EPDM roofing who could offer an opinion?

There's a lot online about bad installations of rubber roofing from unskilled roofers, and notes on how it can lift if not correctly sealed around the edges.

Our main concerns are:
- Join onto adjacent felt roof (neighbour) looks visually poor.
- Old (rotten) fascia board is clearly visible from underneath.
- Tacs are visible on bottom edge, rubber is just dangled down into the gutter, and this edge doesn't seem to be sealed?
- Finish down to adjacent corrugated plastic roof is poor, with no apparent seal.
- We'd have expected the board between the old fascia and the plastic roof to be removed (this board was pre-existing), and the whole fascia replaced on that side. (we may need to add some flashing tape etc to the plastic roof, however this is just a lean-to style construction, and doesn't form part of the fabric of the house: any work on the lean-to roof would have been additional, or we'd have done ourselves).
- The fascia that has been added on the side isn't how I would expect it to look, covering the full height of the roof: would you not normally have roof coming down over the top of the fascia?
- Pooling water, despite them increasing the slope and renewing the board underneath the rubber.
- Ladder marks on guttering (minor, but unprofessional).

We'll be looking to sell the property within the next 18 months, and can't help but think the whole thing looks like we've just done it ourselves, badly?

I'd welcome any help or opinions anyone has to offer.

Also, apologies for the bad pictures: my phone camera isn't the best.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Join to Plastic Roof

Join to Plastic Roof

Join to Flashing

Minor Pooling on top

View from Above

Join to Felt

Join to Felt

Edge Fascia

Edge Fascia

Join to Plastic (left pre-existing board)

Join to Plastic (left pre-existing board)

Old Fascia

Old Fascia

Join to Felt

Folded Corner

Tacs at Bottom Edge

Tacs at Bottom Edge

Tacs at Bottom Edge

Rubber in Gutter

Sponsored Links
No its not done correctly.

They should have used cut of mastic and water bar along the felt/rubber join.
Plastic trims should have been used for upstands, 2 part trims for gutter edges.

Did they glue ( water base ) the field area ie, main deck.
Did they use contact glue on all edges/perimeters.
Did the put down new decking, ie osb3 roof boards.

No its not done correctly.

They should have used cut of mastic and water bar along the felt/rubber join.
Plastic trims should have been used for upstands, 2 part trims for gutter edges.

Did they glue ( water base ) the field area ie, main deck.
Did they use contact glue on all edges/perimeters.
Did the put down new decking, ie osb3 roof boards.

Hi. Thanks for the response. I feared that they might not have used the right trim etc.

I'm unsure on adhesive, as we were at work whilst the work was being done.

I believe they replaced a small number of rotten boards, but not all of them. They added new insulation and exterior ply.

This is what happens when people learn by watching youtube videos.
In that application, where the neighbouring roof is felt, you are better off ripping that lot off and have a felt roof put on. The rubber will never seal properly to that felt roof.
Hope you sort it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back