advice ref fitting a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently moved into a "new house" and the previous owners have removed the gas fire and left an electric fire in its place.

The problem i have is the back of the fire is deeper than the recess - the recess is only as deep as the marble surround and a fire board so 1 inch deep max and needs to be 3 inches or more.

The original fire was gas with a balanced flue so could always replace with gas again.

What i want to know is how would i go about cutting the breeze block to give me a deeper recess and would i need a lintel (is it easy just to cut part way through the block or easier to cut right the way through to the cavity between the two blocks)

Not that DIY minded but think home insurance covers for DIY disasters :LOL:

If i got someone in to do the work is it a fairly easy job as when i spoke to one local fireplace firm they recon to fit a gas fire and do the building work would be a full day for 2 lads at about £300

Oh if anyone can recommend anywhere on the net for cheap fireplaces that would be good - cheers

Sponsored Links
adive ref fitting a fireplace

should be ADVICE whats adive must be Cumbrian dialect :oops:

don't cut out the back
Either fit a gas fire designed for location balanced flue etc
Find and fit fire front which is designed to stand out from the wall further
or remove existing decorative fire front build block wall to same size and dimension and then refit fire front and you will have a 5"recess you will probably need a wider mantel and a means of finishing sides if plastering not acceptable

Sponsored Links
decided to put a electric fire in its place, ripped out the plasterboard but still about 1cm out for correct size recess.

Would it be ok to chivel 1cm out of the edge of the breeze block, assume as its only taking a bit away wont need a lintel or anything??

If all else fails can get freestanding electric fire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back