Fitting an electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a marble fireplace that fixes against the wall, with a back plate which has a hole for the electric fire. However, the electric fire projects behind the fireplace by about 2 inches which means I have to cut a 2 inch recess into the wall to alow the fire to fit flush against back plate.

Cutting in 1 inch will take me through the plasterboard so I will need to channel out 1 inch into the breezeblock.

If I do this, the wall will then be 'open' as the breeze block is exposed.

What are the implications of doing this? Will moisture be able to get in? Will the fire be ok as there is a fan at the top of it which will esentially be in the small gap between the plaster board and breeze block? Do I need to seal up around the hole?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to attach a pic which I hope makes it a bit clearer

Stewart

Sponsored Links
Inner skin of wall should not be damp - if it is you have a bigger problem. Just be careful do do not breach the damp proof membrane which will probably be under the bottom row of blocks - you may not be permitted to stand the fire directly on this as it is combustible.

As long as you are meeting the ventilation requirements for the fire this should not be an issue - if in doubt call the fire manufaturers help line.

These fires usually come with a spacer to allow them to be fitted to a flat wall, I presume you do not want to fit the spacer.

Yes, the inner wall is not damp so thats good!! Unfortunately there was no spacer otherwise everything would have been much easier. I was just worried about the hole created and the effect on ventilation. I will call the manufacturer just to be on the safe side.

Forgot to mention the fire will be sitting on a hearth so will be about 1 inch off the floor. So I preseume the damp proof membrane will be ok?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
The space between the plasterboard and the blocks should not be ventilated but frequently is (shoddy builders).

If it is your house will be cold when the wind blows - it shortcircuits the insulation value of the cavity wall..

If it is ventilated making this hole will not make the problem any worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back