FIRE SURROUND FIXING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am desperate for some help and guidance from a professional.
My daughter has moved into her first home and has acquired a wooden fire surround together with the marble hearth and marble back-plate. (Hope this is the right word)

She will be having an electric fire.

My problem is that when the marble back-plate is flush with the actual fire surround there is a gap of about 3 inches actual wall.

What is recommended to stablise this back-plate to the actual wall so that when the fire surround is postioned to the back-plate and then screwed via the surround brackets it will not show any gaps etc.

Any help or guidance will be very much appreciated.

Graham Turner

Sponsored Links
It is best with any fire surround to have a 'dry run' mocking up the actual fit on any flat wall, even on the floor.

This may give you some idea of the tolerances involved.

We have stuck the marble back with tile adhesive in the past as well as plain old (strong) mortar. Others, (i think) have stuck the back with board adhesive too. The surround will lock it into place in any case.

For the hearth i would always use mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back