Advice regarding front UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
As you look from the outside of my house at the front door (when closed) there is a substantial gap between the door and the frame.
This gap is only in the middle of the frame not at the top and bottom and runs about half the length of the door.
How do I go about closing this gap as there is a real draught coming through and I can hear the road noise as if the door is open. :(
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
OK, then a little bit more info then we can get started.
I'm presuming the door set is fitted with a locking latch and two security locks both above and below this, at some 600 -700 mm. these will engage if you lift the handle smartly? now I need a photo of these two, both the bolts and engagers, also I need a photo of the locking latch and keeper...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
21b5bpi.jpg

14afo68.jpg

m8jpqt.jpg

2je9yrm.jpg

and the gap
35k02kg.jpg

OK, the security bolts ARE adjustable and the lock keeper may be, so far so good. Looking at the next three photo's
make this adj. first - View media item 71603 then make this next make this adj. -
for ref only - View media item 71602
The first shows the lock keeper which I would adjust first (as per the marked up picture)

Next the adjustable bolts (Allen key adjustment) which simply adjust in or out relative to the vertical of the door, depends which way you turn the key, Between these two adjustments you should be able to close the gap, However it would be as well to check both the door and lock stile of the post set with a long straight edge, to ensure all is well so to speak...pinenot :)

P.S. the gap photo is unclear!

Hi people
As you look from the outside of my house at the front door (when closed) there is a substantial gap between the door and the frame.
This gap is only in the middle of the frame not at the top and bottom and runs about half the length of the door.
How do I go about closing this gap as there is a real draught coming through and I can hear the road noise as if the door is open. :(
Any advice appreciated.

The way i understand it is that the frame may be bowed due to the centre frame fixings pulling the frame away from the door sash, is this correct?

Thanks for all the advice Pinenot and Crank39, I actually had a builder come around today and adjust the door for me as he owed me a favor.
For info purposes he moved the door as far to the right as he could using the hinge adjustments, then raised it slightly and did something with the keep like what Pinenot described.
He also said the frame was warped just like how Crank39 described.
It is loads better and actually feels smoother to lock/unlock as well as less draughty.
Thanks again for trying to help you guys *thumbs-up*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back