Advice regarding new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this place so please bear with. We have lived in our new build for 9 years. We have had numerous issues with the property and have had some issues rectified such as bathroom vents not being fitted outside so all the hot air being sucked into attic (only figured this out 2 years ago) but one issue we always have had is how cold the property is. We regularly feel a draft in our living room if we are sitting in watching TV so we shut this door now and only use kitchen door to enter living room. Window fitters have been out and resealed windows at front because we kicker up q fuss but it hasnt resolved much of the issues. We also have damp in corner of windows on plaster as per pics and now also started to have damp all on wall of my sons bedroom and some which is starting to come on my daughters (not sure if yoi can see from pice with pink bedroom) . I have been told "it's because you dry clothes in house" which I do but when speaking to others no one else who dries clothes seems to have this issue ? I have an airer downstairs in living room and my main drying facility is the tumble.

I be very grateful of any advice as every single winter we want to move because of these issues.

Attachments

• IMG-20240131-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20240131-WA0005.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20240131-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20240131-WA0003.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20240131-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20240131-WA0006.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240131_082521.jpg
    20240131_082521.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240131_082536.jpg
    20240131_082536.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
On the windows ?? Not On all of them. We have shut them because there's such a draft and the house is so cold in the winter.

I just opened one Vent now in the problem room and the draft coming through it is incredible.

Last edited:
Unfortunately trickle vents by design are meant to be drafty, that is their purpose to remove moisture laden air which in your case you are contributing to by drying clothes indoors and using a tumble dryer, I'm not saying don't because I do too but you must remember if your putting moisture into the air it WILL find those cold spots throughout the house and it will condensate. I'm sure you've googled the causes of moisture already, you've mentioned drying clothes indoors, using a dryer but other causes are cooking especially on gas hobs, gas is a wet heat so use the extractor hood if you have one, ideally these should be ducted out through a wall, open the window slightly when showering or have an extractor fitted though you've probably already got one being a new build, even breathing creates moisture, 2 people overnight will breathe out a pint of water, if you wake up to condensation on your windows then moisture is the culprit and you either need to ventilate or get a dehumidifier

As for drafts in the living room, I don't know your layout but there is such a thing as 'convection', where are your radiators in relation to the windows in the living room?

Sponsored Links
Ive reopened the vents today so will see if things improve there.....

We've had a friend come in tonight with a thermal camera and we have a lot of cold spots in the house and a lot of areas in the walls not insulated.... and it appears a lot of heat is escaping into the attic as the insulation isn't laid properly either ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back