New Build -Moving window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I appreciate that this isn't about New Builds, but thought I would seek some advice anyway. I appreciate any help/advice.

I have been living in a New Build for around 6 weeks now, and slowly accumulating more snags.

I have had various problems with windows and the external French doors.
They have so far, replaced one of the French Doors, replace the inside seal (the black stuff) around the French doors, adjusted 3 of the windows so there will be less draft.

I have a couple of outstanding issues.

1) The dorma window in the 2nd floor bedroom seems to whistle in high winds. The window contractor has been out today, and as the window frame moved slightly, he added another screw. I think he also adjusted it with an Alan key. Time will tell whether that will fix the issue. He suggested what might cause the issue, is that the trickle vent can't sit flush against the window frame, as the vent is too close to the wall above it. There is a gap in the side of the trickle vents.

2) The second issue, which I felt like I was getting fobbed off about. The 1st floor bedroom window moves when pushed , maybe 1/4 of an inch. He said he would add a couple of more screws into the middle of the window frame. This didn't make a difference. He showed me some other houses in the development, one of them the window moved more, and another less. He was trying to justify it was ok. Is it?
He seemed to imply the issue may not be with the windows, but whatever the window frame is fixed into at the bottom. It's hard to explain, but if you can imagine my living room window, then above that is a fake window, then above that is the 1st floor bedroom window. They are all stacked on top of each other. He seemed to imply, that might just be the way it is. I will try and upload a picture to show what I mean.

Any advice appreciated View media item 69380 [/img]

Sponsored Links
One more thing :D
Would anyone recommend getting a cat flap fitted to the window in a french door?
I think I have seen it on you tube, but wondered how much it effects the double glazing. Significantly I assume?

My guess is that they haven't used reinforced couplers between the 3 individual window frames and this allows them to flex over such a large span.

As its a new build is there any way for you to contact the architect/structural engineer? In theory I would assume a window like this might need wind load calculations. Im guessing on this and hopefully someone on the window manufacturing side of things here can comment more knowledgeably.

On the cat flap note I just fitted one for a customer (not the cheapest but not the most expensive either £40ish). Customer is happy but it was a windy day when I fitted it and the flap was pretty drafty.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think there is anyway of contacting the structural engineer.

I think I need to know if it's acceptable?
It would be great if I could give them evidence why it isn't.
It just feels like you have to prove these issues and stick by your guns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back