What is an acceptable gap between the outer edge of a u pvc window frame and brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that the windows at the front of my house have become very noisy when it is windy. Upon further inspection there seems to be a gap around most of the windows where the silicone has shrunk away approximately 10mm to 15mm. The house is a new build and i have only lived in it for a year. Is it just a case of getting the builder to reseal the windows? or is this gap to big and there is an issue with the fitting or adjustment of the windows? I have included a few pictures of the side and top of the window frames to help show the problem.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Leo.

Attachments

• IMAG0679.jpg
    IMAG0679.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • IMAG0680.jpg
    IMAG0680.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,761
  • IMAG0684.jpg
    IMAG0684.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • IMAG0685.jpg
    IMAG0685.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMAG0688.jpg
    IMAG0688.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMAG0689.jpg
    IMAG0689.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,040
Sponsored Links
Windows can only be fitted as level as the bricks are.
Ideally it could have done with some expanding foam in the gap before it was sealed but I expect they will just silicone it again

That gaps way too big. It's possible that being a double cavity wall setup, they weren't able to set the windows far enough towards the outer skin. Foam should have been used to fill the gap, and then silicone on top to seal the windows. They obviously haven't done the foam, and haven't done enough silicone. Water will get in if it's not dealt with, so get in touch with the builders, but make sure they don't just add more silicone, as it'll just fail again.

Ah new builds!!! Windows are often made weeks or months before and stored, bricklayers use formers knocked together out of 4x2 more often than not a slightly different size to the windows, fitters come along on a 'price per window' basis and just fire them in, frames are often held in on cleats or a spring loaded type affair that locks into the cavity closer, they don't have time to foam, days or even weeks later a 'finisher' comes round and seals outside - again he gets paid per frame and hasn't got time to foam and wait and trim it off, he thinks why should he be slowed down and affect his wages when the builders made the openings too wide!

New builds - don't you just love em!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I guess ill get back in touch with the builders its like trying to draw blood from a stone trying to get them to do things especially now there not on site anymore the joys!

I'd be more concerned about the external beading.

Its cheapness that's all, probably mechanical joints as well. My brother bought a new build 5 years ago, ext beaded and on wedge, mechanical joints and 24mm units and I've changed about 5 already

Bodge job, still under warrantee?

Ha ha i agree but who's warranty? Rightly or wrongly NHBC won't be interested if the value of the claim is below a set amount, not sure what that amount is or whether its published anywhere.

Problems during the first 2 years
In the first 2 years of the Buildmark policy, the builder is responsible for putting right damage covered by the policy and you should contact them in the first instance.

If there is a dispute between you and the builder about work to be done, then we may be able to offer our Resolution Service to assist in resolving disputes about damage relating to the NHBC Standards.

Problem during years 3 to 10
During years 3 to 10, we provide you with insurance cover against the cost of putting right physical damage to your home.

If you have a problem, call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims', or complete our online new claim form.

You will need to give us your full name, address, postcode, NHBC Buildmark policy number and certificate date.

Minimum claim value during years 3-10
Unlike most insurers, we operate a minimum claim value rather than a policy excess. This means that if the cost of your claim exceeds the minimum claim value we will do the work or pay the cost in full and you will not have to make any contribution. However, if the cost of your claim does not exceed the minimum claim value we will not do any work or pay any costs.

The amount of the minimum claim value will depend on when your home was built. You should refer to your policy document or call us for confirmation of the amount of the minimum claim value that applies to your home

Last edited:
Having thought about it, why didn't they use 25mm upvc profile to cover the cap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back