Advice regarding screed in old terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to put wet underfloor heating into my terraced house. The floor make up at the minute is the original concrete floor, and then in the 1980's when an extension was built, they have packed up 2x4 timbers on top of this to raise the floor level (which is bouncy, creaky, and cold) So I could pretty easily take that up, put DPM, insulation, and screed on top of the original concrete floor to get to the same floor height.

My worry is, could adding the DPM on top of the concrete floor cause damp to be pushed up into the walls? The concrete floor is very dry, and there has never been any issues with dampness, but it feels like there is some airflow underneath the timber floor - and I'm worried that removing this airflow will cause dampness.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
My worry is, could adding the DPM on top of the concrete floor cause damp to be pushed up into the walls? The concrete floor is very dry, and there has never been any issues with dampness, but it feels like there is some airflow underneath the timber floor - and I'm worried that removing this airflow will cause dampness.

Thank you!
Going higher is never a problem. It's when people want to reduce the floor height that damp problems usually occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back