Advice regarding Toilet Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've received excellent advice on this site for my Garden Project, thanks.
Now im planning on re-decorating my Bathroom.

Here is the Problem.

Our Toilet has always had problems flushing. We haven't lived here that long, but since moving into our house me and the Miss have never got round to replacing the toilet, yet.

I've located the Stop Cock in our bathroom, turning it ON all the way doesn't strengthen the flush. I don't know what else I can do ?

I've looked at the bowl to see if the shape is the problem, because the house and the plumbing is quite old. But when I look at new bowls to replace it, they have similar shaped "bends".

Any advice from anybody who knows what they are talking about will really be appreciated !!! I just want to have a better understanding before I inevitably call the plumbers in. Are there any tips to strengthening the flush ? Do I need a new bowl ? Is there something else ?

....basically I need a 21st Century Flush on my Toilet
:oops:

Cheers !!!

Sponsored Links
Amongst the 'usual suspects' for a poor flush is the diaphragm washer inside the syphon. Eventually they split, and can't lift enough water to start the syphon working unless you 'pump' the handle.

The diaphragm is simply a thin plastic disc. Once I cut a replacement disc from a thick plastic bag. The problem is getting at it. Many syphons have to be removed from the cistern, but some can be dismantled from inside the cistern to get at the diaphragm.

Removing the syphon means removing the cistern of a close coupled WC, or removing the flush pipe of a low level suite, but it's a good chance to check for any obstructions in the flush pipe and waterways.

If the flush starts easily, but it's not enough to clear the pan, check the water level in the cistern is correct.

Some syphons were designed as 'dual flush' syphons, delivering a short flush if the handle is pressed and released, or a longer flush if the handle is held down.

Sometimes cisterns get changed, leaving the old pan in place. Older pans were designed for a 10 litre cistern, but modern cisterns are designed to deliver 6 litres per flush.

Some suites designed for a 6 litre flush are so poorly designed they just don't work - an excellent water saving measure - it takes two or three 6 litre flushes to do the job of one 10 litre flush. :rolleyes:

lovely,

thats alot of practical information for me to get cracking with.

I'll roll my sleeves up and have another look at everything,
if I remember correctly, the cistern was changed,and if so,
I doubt the pan was....

Anyway, I'll have a good look and come back.

Much Obliged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back