Advice req for stripping off old wallpaper adhesive

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently refurbishing my new property and I'm doing the arduous task of stripping off old wallpaper that has also been painted over (why do people do this? Lol).

It's taking forever and to be able for us to paint over afterwards do I have to take it back to plaster?

The only reason I ask is because I've managed to get the wallpaper off but at the lowest layer there seems to be what I assume is an adhesive as when it's dry it's flaky (and hard to scrape off) but when heated it's like a gummy texture which is peelable (if done right).
20220607_161542.jpg

So the pinkish looking part is the plaster and then the creamy looking areas are the aforementioned bits. If I have to remove these I can see it taking days if not weeks to do the entire house.

My question is if when painting can I just go over this with a new substance or primer etc? Or if I have to remove is there some type of chemical that I can spray on to be able to do this alot easier.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There’s stuff made by zinser that is added to water and semi dissolves the adhesive.
however you might need to use a scraper to remove the sludge.
Then sand the wall.
it’s boring and messy - less messy with a decent vac on the sander and hepa filter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back