Advice required... grp or felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is not right place to post however need some advice and thought that this was best place to look...

had a few quotes for a replacement roof for garage and need advice as given lots of options. currently tiles on roof but pitch way too shallow for them - old owner build himself- looking to replace with felt or grp - boarding below is very water marked inside however one company suggesting leaving it as it was structurally ok ??? is this right or are we better replacing the boarding with new OSB?

almost thinking of doing myself although little DIY experience. had 3 quotes so far ranging from £2300 for replacement felt/boards, £2350 for replacement felt only (keeping original boarding???) or £3k for GRP roofing?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's not entirely clear from the picture, but that looks like chipboard rather than OSB. If it is chipboard, then it's entirely the wrong material for that application.

Cheers
Richard

The chipboard deck is saturated, warped and blown it will need replaced.

What is the pitch on the roof?

The chipboard deck is saturated, warped and blown it will need replaced.

What is the pitch on the roof?

thanks for the replies. yep after googling what chipboard and osb looks like it is 100% chipboard - looks like panels used for flooring (guy that had house before us and built garage acquired stuff off back of lorry when building it). pitch on roof is about 10 degrees.

dimensions of the roof are 8.3m by 6m. is it a simplish job to replace?

Sponsored Links
Simple enough job to do, depending on your abilities.

Stripping the existing deck, tiles,felt,straps etc and skipping them will save on labour costs.

You will need to use a minimum 18mm ply to re-deck it.

Firestone rubber epdm is supposed to be diy friendly with a long lifespan...never used it though.

Where are you in west lothian?

Simple enough job to do, depending on your abilities.

Stripping the existing deck, tiles,felt,straps etc and skipping them will save on labour costs.

You will need to use a minimum 18mm ply to re-deck it.

Firestone rubber epdm is supposed to be diy friendly with a long lifespan...never used it though.

Where are you in west lothian?

Bo'ness.

I'm in Grangemouth tomorrow if you want me to have a look i'll give you some advice.

If you want to re-tile, there are options for tiles that will do 10°- from Forticrete, or you could fit one layer of felt (plus boards) and then batten and tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back