Is this GRP roof being done correctly?

I dont know if its me or not but It looks like FLASHBAND has been used on the upstands on the felt???? :eek:

Sponsored Links
There is no quality going on there, were is the attention to detail ? You can buy the best resin but you will not get any joy from the manufactures if you have not used osb.3 boards, it looks like they have only done half the job so pay them half the money, because you won't be getting 20 yrs out of that work.

As stated that is really BAD now i have seen more.That job will fail without a doubt .So did you have it in writing what he would do,if so then you have got come back ,if not theres not much hope.How much did you pay for the 55sqm ?
If you go on google just put in pictures of fibreglass roof it should give you an idea of finish you should expect

sorry forgot to say a proper detail for the parapet
First remove all felt including of the cap stones(or replace)
the fibreglass should carry up and under the cap stones then the cap stones re beded.

Sponsored Links
Thanks cotswoldbuilders - you predicted correctedly.

Also mentioned previously was that the works were undertaken during period of rain. I called the builder prior to the work starting to ask him how he intended to go about it given rain forecast and he assured me it would all be weather proofed without problems. But it wasnt the case.

He laid the cheap plys down (nailing through the old felt roof) and put down the first layer of resin. He left all the edges of the roof exposed without any weather proofing and left it when it rained the whole night and some part of the following day. 48 hrs after the first layer of resin went down he coated with the second resin.

Day 3-4 days following the night of rain, water has come through the inside of the ceiling in a bad way! Dripping through the plasterboard and through the downlighter holes. It is worse that before I had the roofer in!

I called the roofer and he said its a minor problem. He said it would have happened anyway over time given there's no insulation and there will be condensation. He now cut a hole in the GRP roof and put a vent in?!? Any views on whether this will resolve the major leak I'm having? and whether this makes my roof any better?

My question is - how can he make the roof better, short of stripping it all off and doing it all again which he has sworn he won't be doing? What actions shall I take?

View media item 43855 View media item 43853

Zeberdee - thanks for pointing those out, yeah, they finished with sand and cement around the edges to hide the felt.

Firstly, dont use the original roofer, its clear he doesnt know what hes doing.
Apart from ripping the lot of and doing it correctly, which in my opinion should be done, regarding the water thats got in, how do we know you havent got rotten timbers underneath, all covered up.

If you just want to recover the roof, fit OSB T&G boards, screwed not nailed, they will pop back through and puncture membrane.
Then fit new glass fibre roof, or an EPDM roof.

Looks like a gypo job. Bet they get nasty when you refuse to pay.

Sorry but this is a joke?????? Gotta be!!!

The ''ROOFER'' (which I say in loose terms :rolleyes: ) NAILED the decking???? :eek:

If thats the case then OH DEAR!!!

Sorry, But you've been had, Insist on the job being done RIGHT!!! As you was quoted for.

He also installed a VENT??? LOL. Whats that vent doing??? Where is it connected to?? It may be a.................godknows.

Thats one of the biggest piles of crap i've seen, i wouldn't pay anything for it.

If you don't mind me asking how much was the cost of that roof if you can call it a roof really????? :eek:

That`s a bit rude for a 1st post - on a thread over 2 years old :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back