Advice required regarding storage heater wiring and more!

Sponsored Links
Because most people tend to waste their money on something, and its usually smoking drinking or gambling. Or all three :LOL:

ok well if we're going to get off topic, the reason we cant afford it is because i recently got made redundant, then started a business which subsequently had to be folded due to lack of income and funds, and we've had to move back to this flat (my dad's as stated earlier) and he is charging us a very small rent luckily which means we have just enough money at the moment to cover our rent and bills and food.

so not only is getting someone out a stretch, there is no chance of wasting money on smoking or drinking, and if i was gambling, my missus would have kicked me out a long time ago.

So now you have the full picture, you know why its a struggle to do this, and why i have to do as much as i can myself. Also, im not stupid, despite what people think i know the basics and my previous jobs as network engineer etc mean im not likely to make stupid mistakes, and im not claiming to know everything anyway, which is why im here.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about you're bad luck. Hopefully a spark from your area reads this thread and offers give the flat a free inspection, or you pay him when you're able to or do a bit of work for him.

Any takers, this guy needs help.

Good Luck

Thanks for that, im more than happy to do any IT related work (healthchecks, support etc) for either individual or any of your businesses in return. Im an IT consultant by trade so the offers there.

In the meantime, is there anything else I can check, what do i need to check on the thermostat on the immersion?

Thanks

Your immersion heater should have a dual pole isolator adjacent to it for maintenance. With this switch off the immersion heater element and thermostat are isolated, if the MCB still trips the fault is elsewhere.

BTW I'm a little confused by your description of your split consumer unit. Normally storage heaters are fed from a separate consumer unit that is only energised when the off peak tarriff is available. Otherwise how are the storage heaters & immersion switched on at night?

The flickering lights could indicate a problem that may be dangerous, but not particulary difficult to rectify, do you hear any cracking sounds that accompany the flickering?

My property suffered with flickering lights for 5 to 6 years, all the house wiring checked out OK and I contacted my electricity supplier who said it was because I lived in an agricultural area. One day the power failed competely. It turned out to be a burnt out connection in the street, which after repair ended the flickering.

well, its a single consumer unit, divided into 2, It has a main switch, and a sub circuit switch, and everything to the left of the sub circuit switch are marked as non rcd protected, and these are the economy 7 circuits as far as I can tell

Pictures might help, showing meter (the whole distribution board) and consumer unit. The 'sub circuit' switch sound like it is an RCD.

A consumer unit normally has a single pair of large conductors coming from the meter and cannot be split between normal and eco-7. Modern electronic multi-rate meters don't switch the eco-7 supply like the old mechanical dual-rate meters. It doesn't sound like you have a Teleswitch, as that would feed a separate CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back