Advice Sought For Routing Soild Wood Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to fitting some Rubberwood worktops, I'd like to round off the edges and put a radius on the corners of the wood.
Can I just check which bits I should be using, for rounding off the edges I take it I should use a "rounding over bit" I see they come in different sizes any recommendations for 28mm thick worktops?
What bit do I need to use for putting a radius on the corners (in plan view) and is there a cheap jig I can use to guide the router?

Any help appreciated

Adam

Sponsored Links
A bearing guided round over will do to knock the corners off, I would go for either 3 or 5mm radius (1/8" or 3/16")

For the corners it really depends on what sort of radius you are talking about, if its less than 25mm you could just draw it onto the corner of a scrap of 6mm MDF and saw/plane/sand to profile then use a straight bearing guided bit to follow the template that can be clamped to the top, work from the long edge to the end, this will require working from the top & bottom depending on what edge you are shaping. Trend also make a jig that will give 20,30,40 & 50mm redius corners.

For large radius curves like the end of a breakfast bar you need to make or buy a router compass which will allow you to swing the router to the required curve.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back