Joining Wooden Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am going to join some IKEA wooden worktops at right angles to each other in my new kitchen.
The worktops only have a very small rounded radius on the edge unlike the large post form radius found on normal chipboard worktops.
Would I still need to use a worktop jig?
I have a router but not sure how deep to make the cut or do I need to use the dogbone slots and the worktop brackets etc.
Any advice from others who have done this before much appreciated.
Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
think this is more of a butt and scribe,depending on how straight you can cut with a saw then that is 1 way of doing it,or make up your own jig.

how small is the radius.
If very small then do as greggers says. I would cut the straight bit with a router run up against a clamped fence then punch the scribe in with a router bit of the same radius or cut it free hand your chioce..

Hi All
Been reading a lot and got a pretty good idea how to approach it. Still not sure about how to bond it.
I have heard about movement in the joint with the grain of the wood at 90 degrees to each other.
Should I use silicon or glue for the joint or just oil the butting edges and rely on the butterfly bolts to pull it up tight?
I am going to cut a tenon almost the whole length with a biscuit cutter in each face and insert a strip of cut off material.
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
you do not need to cut a continuos grove,i normally use 4-5 biscuits and use poly glue,and it dont move a bit,if your using the bolts as well as biscuits then i would use pva.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back