Advice wanted re concealing a gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new kitchen installed and would like to use a dummy cabinet to conceal the wall mounted boiler.

It is very old but still working. Not sure of the exact type (not a combi) but it is a concord WCF. However, the front of it gets pretty hot.

The kitchen installer suggested we leave the top and bottom of the cabinet open so air circulates (due to the fact the cabinet needs to be fairly big this won't be noticeable from the bottom).

Also, is it worth putting some sort of backing on the cabinet doors to reflect the heat, so they do not warp or catch fire!!!

Sponsored Links
There will be manufacturers clearances to front panel, check with http://www.idealboilers.com/

there will be ventilation requirements. They can also advise on that.

You will need a new boiler sooner or later, might be a good time to consider it.

The latest trick employed by manufacturers is to make unavailable casing seals. Building regs prohibit us from using generic parts, therefore when a seal has gone, part unavailable; new boiler.

Thanks Paul.

I did get British Gas out for a quote for a new boiler and it was £4,300 (!!!) and unfortunately I cannot afford this at present.

Paul Barker said:
there will be ventilation requirements. They can also advise on that.

Check with M I's or 'phone Ideal for compartment ventilation requirements

Sponsored Links
lorrainer said:
Thanks Paul.

I did get British Gas out for a quote for a new boiler and it was £4,300 (!!!) and unfortunately I cannot afford this at present.

Get some quotes off local independent CORGI installers.

You may be surprised at the difference in price...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back