Wall mounted boiler frame not flush with wall at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening forum
Just over 2 years ago I had a Wocester green star junior 24i boiler installed. It was a direct replacement for the old one so no moving pipes etc.
I got a friends uncle to do it who've been in the trade over 40 years, all gas safe registered etc.

All fine and working well so I got a chippy to make a cabinet to house the boiler, with room top and bottom to adjust pressure/get to the magnetic filter cleaner etc.

Recently when I was adjusting the pressure though I noticed the wall mounted frame was about 5mm from m the wall. (See pics below taken from above the boiler looks big down)

I phoned the guy who installed it and raised my concerns and he said he'll come out on Monday and have A look - but there's a screw in the middle and others on the wall mounted frame holding it into the wall.

My concern was the fact that one of the screws had completely gone through the rawl plug.

Since the boiler was installed it's been boxed in - if the boiler frame is put right (ie flush to the wall I'd imagine the whole boiler will need to come off which would mean to get access the cabinet would need to be dismantled and all the pipes reattached and it tested for gas safety.

Surely the installer should then foot the bill for a new boxed in cabinet as I had no idea anything was wrong (and had no reason to be) when I paid out for the chippy to make the cabinet.

The boiler doesn't seem to move at all (not that I've tugged it!) and I've since had someone from Worcester out to have a look at the flue who didn't mention it.

Or is there a simpler solution like strengthening with corner braces/brackets so the boiler doesn't have to be moved and the structure dismantled?

I think the chippy said the side panel (by the patio door)can pop off if need be without dismantling the entire frame

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said he is coming out on Monday to look at it but I'll probably be at work so will have to speak to him over the phone.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Think that will be the least of your worries.

Looking at the picture and trying to work out a dimension of those doors I would say that that is going to have to be demolished every year to be able to get the cover off the boiler to service it!

Jon

Oh and would it have hurt the chippy to get the door to open towards the wall the same as the bottom one? You've made access to that boiler next to none existent.

Jon

Jon the doors come off easy and breakfast bar comes out - it's been serviced no probs and lots of room top and bottom

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
Doors on ikea hinges which pop off in seconds. Bit tight but cover comes off fine and room top and bottom. What do you think of the issue with the screws though?

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok cool, easier to see head on it did look tight in the first picture.

As for the screws they seem to be pulled up to the frame. Is the wall square? I ask because if not and he pulled them right up to the wall it would distort the jig and it would nit accept the boiler and you'd never get it straight. If that's why then I would've packed it out from behind but if they are solid and secure then there shouldn't be an issue.

If it did have to come off the wall it does look do-able without removing the boxing. Might be a right b*tch of a job but looks like it could be done.

Jon

Cheers for the reply Jon

Yeah, that's my point I would have packed it out, but will see what they say. Not sure if wall was 100% straight but if he'd have mentioned it nae bother as long as it's safe.

Screws look tight to frame but a good 5mm from wall with a split plug and looks like the plaster has blown?

Yeah, tight boxing. Would prefer a removable 90 degree unit that's just hinged into battons on wall behind and to the right of boiler. And will probably sort that.

Fook me that's just taught me something, I never knew you could get the pipes up behind the expansion vessel on one of them.(y)

to get the boiler frame flush to the wall (as Wocester say it should be) I assume the boiler will need to come out which would probably mean the surrounding cabinet being dismantled.

As I have paid for a chippy to box it in already, not to mention the fact I will lose time overseeing them put this right (I'm self employed) I assume I'm within my rights to pass this cost on to the installers. Why should I have to pay to get the boxing in re-done if the boiler wasn't installed correctly in the first place?

The thing that really bothers me is the worry of a gas leak and possible explosion

Hard to tell but it looks like it was installed like that, in other words it hasn't moved since then. If that's true and it's solid on the wall then perhaps leave it alone.
If it is coming away though it needs doing obviously, that would be as you say a boiler out job. The more obvious thing to worry about would be if the flue was to separate, though as others have said, if it's solid and going nowhere happy days.

to get the boiler frame flush to the wall (as Wocester say it should be) I assume the boiler will need to come out which would probably mean the surrounding cabinet being dismantled.

As I have paid for a chippy to box it in already, not to mention the fact I will lose time overseeing them put this right (I'm self employed) I assume I'm within my rights to pass this cost on to the installers. Why should I have to pay to get the boxing in re-done if the boiler wasn't installed correctly in the first place?

The thing that really bothers me is the worry of a gas leak and possible explosion

So, just to be clear, you've had someone box in your boiler in such a way that the boxing unit will need to be dismantled and most likely destroyed in the event that major work needs to be done to the boiler, and you now feel that the person carrying out said major work should be responsible for replacing the non-removable boxing you've installed

Sorry, but the person responsible for specifying the boxing should have specified that it be built to be removable so that the boiler could be have such works carried out unobstructed. The failure in the boxing specification is not the fault of the boiler installer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back