Advice with laying vinyl floor over quarry tile in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having our kitchen updated and want to have a new floor covering.

I took up the old laminate tiles ready for the floor fitter to come but found quarry tiles underneath.

There is a patch about 2x2 meters in the middle of the floor where the tiles are very loose.

I was thinking that to stop the grout lines having an impression on the new vinyl I would have to use a floor leveling compound,is this correct?

However, I was wondering firstly whether I would need some damp proofing? There doesnt seem to be any signs of damp.

Secondly whether to fix the loose tiles with grout or take them out and fill the space?

Any advise would be appreciated. I wont be fitting the floor but would like it to be sound underneath and ready for the fitter

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Quarry tiles can be laid on a concrete subfloor, on a thin screed or just on a bed of earth. You will need to establish which way yours have been laid.

The best method would be to remove the existing tiles, check for moisture and then proceed accordingly. If you are having a vinyl floor then a levelling compound should be installed.

If you have someone to lay the new floor they should be advising you on your existing floor and how to proceed with the new one - including testing for moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back