Advice with plastering (old and new sockets)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if I could get some advise on plastering/filling over wires (see pic below)?

On the left is where an old socket has been covered with a piece of wood (used to be behind some fitted wardrobes that we just took out) and as you can see the cable is still there. On the right of the picture is the new double socket, the cable has a metal cover over most of it.

Is it ok to put plaster/filler straight on top of cables? Should I PVA the area and then fill with patching plaster?? and if so, do I need to build it up in layers? it's just that for the new socket the gap at the top is quite deep. Many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Hi MM,
You would have been better to have patched up around the box on the right before the socket was connected, far easier that way.The old plaster would need a little tidy up, chipping away some of the edges to give it an even depth before patching. Once the patch is prepared, give it a damp down/pva with a wet brush, and bring it out half the depth with some bonding plaster or equivalent (filler). Where the metal cable cover is, bed some fibre tape over it, all the way up. When it's steadied up a it, bring the plaster out to the flush and let it set. Finish it off with a smooth finishing plaster. I never put plaster over cable that is visible, even a small bit showing like you have. I put a small piece of polythene or similar just to keep the plaster off of it.........The box on the left........Plasterboard would be a better material to cover it in with. Take out the wood and use that. Again, trim up the plaster around the edges, put a small piece of tape between the p/board and the original plaster, cover the small piece of visible cable,damp/pva the area down, and plaster patch, the same as the other one......Always remember to TURN OFF the power when working with/near electrics. If you can get someone to remove the socket, ( that's what I would do)) it is a much simpler job to patch.

Roughcaster.

Hi Roughcaster, That's great! thanks a lot for your informative response, I'll give it a go. May end up with more plaster on myself than on the wall though :D

you can't plaster over a live cable how would another person knew the cable was there? Remove the cable completely or atleast get it out under the floor and fit a joint box to the end to make it safe.

Sponsored Links
I never plaster over cable either. They are always into conduit piping. I'm talking about the visible inch of cable that the "electrician" has left exposed just above the skirting. I agree that the "old" socket could have the cable sorted out if no longer required...... There are many nightmares out there waiting to be discovered from work done in the past. :eek:

Roughcaster.

I would cover the cable with some channeling (this sort of stuff http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1217278399691&isSearch=true) and seeing as its a diy job on a small area just use polyfilla or one coat plaster.

Has the old socket (with the wood over it) still got the original box behind it? If so a blanking plate (like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77759...kets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-1G-Blank-Plate) might be your best bet especially if there are still wires in there that may need accessing at some point in the future.[/url]

Thanks for the links, that's really handy. I'll get that bit of wood out this weekend and then I'll know what my options are. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back