Advise me on this expansion pipe question please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Four bed house with a pumped, open-vented system.

In 2010 I installed a second 160 litre cylinder in the attic heated by the solar panel, directly above and "in tandem" with the existing house cylinder in the airing cupboard. Water flows from the F&E tank, into the bottom of the solar cylinder, out the top and into the bottom of the house cylinder below, then out of the top to the taps and shower pump. The expansion pipe from my solar cylinder simply joins the expansion pipe from the house cylinder below.

Since 2010 we have noticed that the hot water supply to the showers is poor in winter; even when the downstairs cylinder is full of 60c water, showers are unsatisfactory and soon become tepid.

This has puzzled me until a couple of days ago when a shower was in use and the pump running and I happened to put a hand on the expansion pipe coming out of the downstairs cylinder to find it freezing cold. Suddenly I understood what was happening: the pump is sucking cold water round through the expansion pipes from the top of the cold solar cylinder in preference to sucking it out of the downstairs cylinder and cold water is mixing with the hot, giving us the tepid showers. We don't notice it in summer when the solar cylinder is full of hot water.

So my first reaction is to fit an old one-way valve I've got into the downstairs cylinder expansion pipe so as to prevent it sucking cold water out of the upstairs cylinder.

But thinking about it, the valve takes quite a bit of effort to overcome when you blow through it and simple thermal expansion probably won't overcome that resistance, meaning expansion might reverse-flow out of the downstairs cylinder. So I'm inclined to extend the expansion pipe so that both cylinders have their own pipes runnng parallel to the F&E tank. Then I noticed that the expansion pipes are in 22mm, which I guess may be a plumbing convention so as to give more capacity to the pipework and reduce the loss of hot water into the F&E tank on expansion.

Would you go down the one-way valve route or the twin expansion pipes route?

Would you use 22mm?

Sorry about the long post - it's hard to explain clearly.

Sponsored Links
Please read the post again; I haven't put in the one-way valve, I understand that expansion pipes mustn't be blocked in any way. My neighbour is a plumber and he says it will be fine but I don't think it will, that's why I'm asking for advice on here.

Apologies
... total misreading.

Still struggling to visualise the installation.

A diagram would be helpful.

I am minded to suggest a Surrey flange. But not without seeing the layout.

Sponsored Links
The expansion pipe from my solar cylinder simply joins the expansion pipe from the house cylinder below.

Normally two cylinders, two vent pipes. The water level in the vent pipe is equal to the water level in the cold water storage cistern. If you have the two vent pipes joined below this level, water will take the path of least resistance, flow up the vent pipe from your solar cylinder, down the vent pipe for your main cylinder, and into the HW distribution.

You need two vent pipes, not two joined together into one.

Sorted! I installed a parallel vent for the solar cylinder all the way to the F&E tank and took the opportunity to raise the vent pipe for the downstairs cylinder to a height where I don't have to keep ducking under it to access my solar setup. Last night I had a shower and for the first time in three winters, didn't have to keep adjusting the temperature control.

Total cost of the exercise: £32 for 10' of 22mm, some fittings, some clips and some insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back