no expansion pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are pleased with our warmfront provided Ideal icos boiler & new hot water cylinder.
Up in the loft where the cylinder is I notice that altho there is an expansion pipe off the cylinder into the header tank there isn't one for the central heating as there was before.

The original heating flow pipe which used to connect to the cylinder along with gravity fed hot water pipe with the original old boiler is still in use altho now of course it's not connected to the cylinder as it has seperate flow & return. Instead of an expansion pipe as there was before there is just a short 22mm brass pipe with a screw top which dribbles water if you unscrew it. This is not an automatic air bleeder with red cap as fitted to our hot water flow pipe.

Where is does expansion take place? the heating when tested ran o.k. but I don't think there is an expansion vessel in an icos HE24 boiler is there?

Sponsored Links
Do not skip service on this boiler. Do not get someone who 'spring cleans' instead of servicing the boiler as described in the manual. Do look for someone who is familiar with this boiler and is not a part changer/ chancer.

Expansion is absorbed in the header tank. The feed should now be in 22mm as it is probably a combined feed and vent.

Sponsored Links
Expansion is absorbed in the header tank. The feed should now be in 22mm as it is probably a combined feed and vent.

I had a good look & your right, there is a 22mm pipe which runs all the way to the boiler & a short 15mm feed off it to the ballcock, the pipe is now at the back of the tank & hard to see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back