advise on ridge tiles asap. :o)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have removed a ridge tile, but the mortar disinegrated before I had a chance to see how the tile was bedded in.
I'm ok with bedding the tile to the slates but I don't know about the join between the ridge tiles.
They are just a concrete butt type, no flange thingy to overlap its neighbour.

Do i butter the edge of the tiles, then push it against its neighbour?

can i stuff something under the join to stop the mortar falling between the tiles then point them?

many thanks as i need advise asap :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
build the gap up with rubble i.e broken roof tile , this will bridge the gap between the tiles , allow 2 inches of mortar to rebed your ridge to. squeeze out excess and point, only bed the side to a slate roof as full pointing always falls out

@ daveholliday the only reason bits of broken tile/slate is used between the joints is to use less mortar,absoloutley nothing wrong with just using motar.

too much mortar sitting in the gap on the felt/ membrane could be a problem i reccommended bridging the gap, bearing in mind you do need a healthy bed of mortar

too much mortar sitting in the gap on the felt/ membrane could be a problem i reccommended bridging the gap, bearing in mind you do need a healthy bed of mortar
Either side you have a tile,under the middle you have you timber,there is no way you mortar will damage the membrane.The only reason people add bits of tile etc is so you dont use as much mortar,this is the only reason.

The method of bedding hip ridge tiles requires a firm mortar bed to either straight
edge and a solid bed, packed with tile pieces if needed, at the cross joints. The
underside of the hip ridge tiles should be dampened before bedding. All joints
should be neatly struck pointed with a minimum of troweling. Trowel marks or
peeling mortar should be removed and lightly finished with a soft brush.
When forming the hip end (lower end) with or without a hip iron, tile slips should be

hip should be used to provide support for the hip ridge tiles and mortar bedding,
particularly during the setting of the bedding mortar.
On no account should existing pointing be flushed over with a thin layer of pointing
mortar. Where it is necessary to carry out the pointing separately from the bedding,
the pointing mortar should be of substantial thickness to prevent flaking or
dislodgement by frost etc.
All cut pieces of slate should be bedded with mortar and be firmly nailed with at
least two nails, to the battens, to ensure that the assembly of slates, ridges and
mortar cannot be lifted by wind.
Where proprietary ridge pieces are used the system of fixing must comply with the
manufacturer’s instructions.
Page 29
© Construction Industry Training Board 2005 Roof Slating CTP 036 / 6 Issue 1
it says pieces of tile can be used , then again you've only got 30+ years experience not to worry im sure you will learn the job after 50 years hopefull, fingers crossed

I did not say you could not use pieces of tiles(read what i posted man).I know many people do,sometimes i do.what i did say the only reason people use pieces of tiles is so they dont use so much mortar.I did say there is absoloutley nothing wrong with just using mortar and advised op to do just that.You tried to say only using mortar would damage the membrane which is not true,so it seems its you that does not know the job lol using just mortar can damage the membraine indeed.Please feel free to correct me if im wrong :rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back