Advise please -Can not open window. Bottom latch not moving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am unable to open a window as the bottom is stuck/not moving with the handle?

The top part opens/locks ok as when I try to open it I can push the window and create a gap as in pics.

Amy ideas on how I can open it and check the mechanism without damaging/forcing it open??

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Am only guessing- Just take the two screws out, and use pliers to twist the bar.

The centre gear box has failed, it works like a steering rack on a car, likely to be a tooth sheared or a rod connecting the bottom half has snapped and only the top half is working so the handle and spindle still work. Take a look at another window for measurements but at a guess it'll be an 800mm or 1000mm X 20mm or 22mn backset, the glass will need removing to aid in twisting the sash open

Bread and butter to a service engineer like me, if getting someone in expect to pay £120 to open the window without damage and to replace the mechanism

Sponsored Links
The centre gear box has failed, it works like a steering rack on a car, likely to be a tooth sheared or a rod connecting the bottom half has snapped and only the top half is working so the handle and spindle still work. Take a look at another window for measurements but at a guess it'll be an 800mm or 1000mm X 20mm or 22mn backset, the glass will need removing to aid in twisting the sash open

I can easily remove the beads/glass unit.
I’ve replaced plenty of them.
I’m also aware of the backseats.
I can just take existing one to UPVC near me or I’ll remove the bottom ‘pin’ temporarily somehow and post a pic of it on here.

What is the best way to actually open it once glass is removed ?
I have uPVC plastic wedges plus 2 proper uPVC bead chisels.

Do I bend frame from inside?

Plus do I need to remove both sealed units?
The main window and the opener in order to bend it open?

Cheers

Take a look at another window to see which way the bottom cam travels when it's locked, does it engage going up or going down, you need to compare it to a same window.

Remove the glass from the opener, push the top corner out as far as you can or at least so the opener is out of the frame, assuming the bottom cam engages going down you'll need to lift the opener up so at the same time as pushing the top outwards you'll also need to lever the opener upwards with a stiff scraper, I use a spreader bar or a pump bag

Take a look at another window to see which way the bottom cam travels when it's locked, does it engage going up or going down, you need to compare it to a same window.

Remove the glass from the opener, push the top corner out as far as you can or at least so the opener is out of the frame, assuming the bottom cam engages going down you'll need to lift the opener up so at the same time as pushing the top outwards you'll also need to lever the opener upwards with a stiff scraper, I use a spreader bar or a pump bag

I think it travels down to engage as the other windows do (ie they both travel in to close and expand/travel out from handle to engage lock)

I just googled a spreader bar and bondage gear showed up pal.

I’ve got loads of pry bars. I think this one would do it. It’s quite thin.

Thanks for the reply.
Much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back