Advised new ns anti roll bar and fs strut, shall I diy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, my Astra Mk 4 is a glorious beast however, I've recently been adviced for a new ns anti roll bar and fs strut, might be easier replacing the coil too while I'm at it?

Anyway my questions... Is this a job I should invest in some axel stands, dig out my tools and do it myself or is it a bit more complicated than a bolt on job?

Is it advisable to replace shocks in pairs?

Given both sides having faulty suspension parts is it worth getting tracking looked at after replacement?

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
Certainly its all do-able, but you'll definitely need a spring compressor set and the ability to split ball joints.
I'm not sure about the anti roll bar for access though - sometimes the steering rack is in the way. Has the bar cracked, or is it just the mountings at fault?
Tracking isn't strictly necessary, but after all that work its not a bad idea.
John :)

Cheers John, I will need to research a bit more I feel. The garage I took it to didn't say anything other than advising a new parts. On brief visual inspection there doesn't seem to be any damage but holding it and giving it a firm wiggle reveals it's very slightly loose. Wouldn't have thought it too much a big deal but there's no movement what so ever on the opposite side. Can't say I'm too thrilled about the idea of splitting ball joints but would certainly like to do more work myself on my car where I can. Gotta start somewhere ey.

The anti roll bar is held onto the front strut or wishbone by either plastic or rubber lined cups bolted onto the metalwork. Its common enough for these bushes to wear, and replacing them one at a time is usually ok, so long as you remember the roll bar is basically a bloody strong bar spring!
To get the front strut out means disconnecting the bottom wishbone ball joint, unless the strut actually bolts onto the hub itself - in which case the ball joint is left alone. Sometimes you have to undo the driveshaft nut and pull the driveshaft out of the hub.
Give us some pics of under the arches with the wheels off if you want some more details.
If you are just starting out in car maintenance, you've jumped in at the deep end a bit!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help on this one John but I think I'll let the local garage take care of this one and suck up the labour charges in all honesty :)

Probably a good move - suspension work can bite you back on occasion!
Plenty of things you can do yourself, like basic servicing - and then you build up your tool kit as well as your skills.

For what it's worth, took it to a local garage and for £170 I have a car that is once again a pleasure to drive :) As it turns out the tracking was 6mm toed out too!

Sponsored Links
Back