AEG Fridge Freezer Failed thermostat

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
Recently both fridge & freezer sections ceased to be cold and the compressor was not running at all. After putting a 'short' in the thermostat circuit it worked.I replaced the thermostat and it worked fine for 2 days but now it has gone again.not cold at all and the compressor not 'kicking' in.
Does anybody have any Ideas as I am not to sure on the full workings of a fridge freezer ?

Sponsored Links
the thermostat is in the fridge part

if the fridge is requiring say 6 degrees and the garage is 5 degrees the compressor will never work as the fridge is happy

you need to warm the garage or move the fridge somewhere warmer

you can turn the fridge temperature nearer to zero and risk it freezing and the freezing compartment to be a bit warm perhaps -6

this is all assuming its a normal fridge freezer and not a frost free as i don't know how they work

Sponsored Links
Hi
Could i prove this point by dipping the end of the thermostat probe in some warm water !

i would expect it to work if you turn it up to a higher number[require a cooler temperature]

you only need to warm it above say 10 degrees for it to work

get a cloth wet with hot water squeeze out the excess and hold over the area the sensor is that should work without dismantling any thing!!!

The psobe is quite long and feeds down a tube into the bowels of the m/c,so I dont know where it ends up.

assuming you have tried turning the the knob to maxtry placing a bowl of hot water on the shelve and shut the door

if your garage is around freezing temperature turning the knob to maximum may not work but warming the fridge up inside will

HI
Recently both fridge & freezer sections ceased to be cold and the compressor was not running at all. After putting a 'short' in the thermostat circuit it worked.I replaced the thermostat and it worked fine for 2 days but now it has gone again.not cold at all and the compressor not 'kicking' in.
Does anybody have any Ideas as I am not to sure on the full workings of a fridge freezer ?
Its cold in your garage! you have 1 thermostat which is in the fridge, if the fridge is cold enough, the freezer should 'technically' be. It is so cold in your garage that the cold penetrated the walls and the fridge is cold enough. Next time, buy a fridge/freezer with 2 thermostats, this will help keep the freezer frozen and the fridge will never need cooling in the winter. You should always read instruction booklets! If possible, move the fridge to a warmer place, then it will work- OR heat up your garage. And, to save a few $s heat the garage to about 10°C and turn the fridge/freezers thermostat/s to MAX (if there are 2 thermostats). This will help a lot!

hope this helps
bestbets1 :)

this is all assuming its a normal fridge freezer and not a frost free as i don't know how they work

Frost free uses 1 set of cooling coils- when there is 1 Thermostat, the coils are located in the freezer. When the fridge gets warm, The fan and motor start to help the freezer stay cold, as it cannot control the freezer temperature. The fridge's fan also runs. When its cold enough, the fans may keep running, but the motor stays on

When there are 2 thermostats the freezer thermostat is the 'Keys' to the motor. IF it gets warm in the fridge, the fridge's fan starts to blow freezer air into the fridge. When, the freezer eventually gets warm enough, the motor is started, and if the fridge reaches temperature, its fan stops, leaving the freezer fan running. You may notice the fan in the fridge stops when you open the fridge door and the same will happen to the freezer when you open its door. This means less cold air is wasted.
Hope you understand now big-all :)
bestbets1

a lot more informed now thanks :LOL: :LOL:
although in the domestic f/f we have here there is usualy no vent physicaly connected to the compartment
the cooling is controled via a double skin with no physical contact to the fridge or freezer box

although my understanding has inproved a bit on the last 30 months ;)

a lot more informed now thanks :LOL: :LOL:
although in the domestic f/f we have here there is usualy no vent physicaly connected to the compartment
the cooling is controled via a double skin with no physical contact to the fridge or freezer box

although my understanding has inproved a bit on the last 30 months ;)

I was pretty sure air came from the freezer- at least thats what i've read! There usually isn't 2 evaps unless its really big. Usually 1 big evap for both compartments. What is a double skin, by the way? Does it control airflow to the fridge section. I do know air comes to the fridge from the freezer. prob. through a duct. Some freezers blow air onto the door section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back