AEG Gas Cooker, the Grill goes out after 5-10 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a 5 year old AEG gas cooker (17166gm-mn). Recently the grill has started to go off after it has been on for 5-10 minutes. To keep it on and continue cooking, i have to hold the knob in the 'ignite' position, and it will light and keep going as long as i hold the knob down (the clicking/sparking will keep going as well).
Once it cools down it will light again, and then again go out after a few minutes.
I cant remember if the fan used to go or not while the grill is in use, but it doesn't now. Not sure if that is related or not.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need the services of a gas safe registered engineer who deals with cookers, or a new cooker. Could be a few things, like the thermocouple.

Thank Chris.
I have been trying to get someone to look at it, and so far, I booked 3 different gas appliance engineers and each have not turned up. When i call to ask why, it's then that I'm told that they don't do cookers!!!
I live near Bournemouth and trying to get tradesmen is not easy.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I too would be looking at the thermistor/thermocouple as a starting point.

You might be better off searching for "appliance repair" in your area rather than gas plumbers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i did think about changing the thermocouple as it looks like it might be simple, but to get to it, it seems that the entire top of the cooker has to be removed and the gas pipework to the 4 rings are rigid and there doesn't seem an easy/obvious way to do it. The cooker top is integrated with the controls and display and even taking the control knobs off is apparently not simple case of pulling them off. The user guide says the knobs these should only be removed by the service engineer.

Thanks, i did think about changing the thermocouple as it looks like it might be simple, but to get to it, it seems that the entire top of the cooker has to be removed and the gas pipework to the 4 rings are rigid and there doesn't seem an easy/obvious way to do it. The cooker top is integrated with the controls and display and even taking the control knobs off is apparently not simple case of pulling them off. The user guide says the knobs these should only be removed by the service engineer.

If it was my oven, I might be tempted to do it myself but I think you will be better off getting a fixed price to repair it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ove...0i390j69i60.7789j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back