AEG washer dryer, dryer not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several questions:
I have an AEG L76685NWD washer/dryer and the drying element is not heating up.
After isolating the machine, I tested the resistance of the element with a small multimeter and it reads approximately zero ohms which seems too low!
Q1) I presume it should be at least 20 ohms, maybe a bit more?

Q2) The sensor in the airflow duct after the heater has an open circuit reading of around 4 ohms - is this okay?

AEG don't seem to recognize that this product has more than one heating element on their parts website and that is the heating element of the drum.
Q3) Why not?

Q4) What to do next?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has it popped any fuses? If not then its probably OK.
Can you safely run the machine and measure the voltage at the element?

Thanks, that's helpful. I will stop trying to take the top off the blower box!
I tried running the machine with the top off and measuring voltage at the element - there was none, so I presume it has blown a fuse, but I don't know where to look for the internal fuses or what type they are. I followed the leads down the back of the machine, but as far as I could see they went to plastic board at the back left (from the front) - not very accessible! Am i missing something.
And I will need to get a new blower box with element inside it.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that the very low resistance in the heater element has blown a fuse somewhere, but don't know where to look for internal fuses.

Both the sensors on the input and output of the blower heating element seem to be okay - no resistance, like the heating element.

You need to let the dryer run for at least 10 mins. before checking for voltage. Power to the dryer element isn't instant.

Yes, I read that before, but the programme I was using was only 12 minutes long and it has usually heated up quite quickly.
I checked for voltage after 3 minutes.
(And I don't know why they have an only 12 minute programme - its not much use!).

Thanks for the help.
My wife wanted to do a wash today, so I reassembled and now it all works fine including the dryer!
I don't know what was wrong - loose connection maybe?
But I shall leave well alone for now.
Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back