aerial amplifier for Hotel, 35 rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at a small Hotels TV Amplifier - pumps out the picture to 35 rooms.

Currently has a Fracarro M/Band 4 Input 43db MBX5741 UK in the loft. The output goes to a splitter, which in turn feeds several more which feed into the rooms, it's been professionally installed.

What happens periodically is the signal goes in a few tvs, or channels get lost, and the original installer installed a reset switch to cycle the power to the unit which fixes the problem.

It seems to be needing resetting every few weeks, never used to need this.

Any suggestions to a suitable replacement? Not sure if the unit is on it's way out, or overheating (its hot to touch)

Thanks, Sukh

Sponsored Links
Well, as a direct replacement from another brand then the Triax Amethyst (371000) would work.

There are two points to consider though. First, this type of amp (same as your Fracarro) has individual gain controls for each of the inputs. It needs setting up properly. Second, I'd want to know what the cause is for needing a power cycle. If it was the amp that was faulty then surely it should have been replaced rather than having a sticking-plaster solution of a power cycle? Did your installer offer any insight as to what he thinks the cause might be?

Did we help? Then use the THANKS button. It's free and it marks good advice for other readers

The existing system was installed some years ago, long before i've had and involvement. IV no idea why powercycling resolves signal issues.

When you say it needs setting up properly i.e gain controls what's involved in that? Worked in IT for some years, I can pick up anything technical.

Thanks!

I'm sure you could pick up the theory okay, but that would still leave you needing the appropriate test gear to measure signal levels accurately and in the variety of ways needed to ensure a robust system.

The sort of DIY meters sold in tech stores and online for £10-£100 just won't cut it. They only measure signal power, and not that accurately either. They don't do the forensic measurements such as Bit Error Rate; Signal-to-Noise Ratio and individual Mux levels including a slope measurement (Slope = relative levels of all the muxes) for DVB-T/T2. The DIY meters don't have the option to measure FM and DAB levels at all.

The sorts of meters that can do all this are not cheap. Entry-level is around the £400 mark. Top-end can easily exceed £2,500.

The main point is that the amp (and the money you save buying one independently) is only the tip of the iceberg. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to save £20-£40 on the amp and then blow £400+ on a meter to end up doing a DIY job. You'd be better off getting a pro in to do the job right, and because they're buying the amp new (with a warranty) and at trade then you'll probably find that they can do a deal on the hardware anyway.

Did we help? Then use the THANKS button. It's free and it marks good advice for other readers

Sponsored Links
That all makes sense. I did have a £10 signal tester but that isn't going to cut it! It's not a simple case of swapping like for like.

I did just have a thought, that the cooling fan in the existing amplifier might have dust in it causing an overheating issue, especially with the recent hotter weather. I'll get the vacuum up there (in the loft space) and clean it out.

Then if the problem re-occurs I'll then get a local company in - I think some of the kit has a company name on it who installed it

thanks for the replys (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back