Aerial Installation - Sleeve Anchor Bolts Vs Through Bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to install an outside aerial at my daughters house. I did look into a company doing this however I can buy, install and distribute the signal around the house cheaper myself.

I'll be using 24" T & K brackets to support a 12ft x 2inch alloy pole.

What are the best fixings to fit the brackets to the wall which is of a screeded breeze block construction. Would it be Sleeve Anchor Bolts or Through Bolts? Also what would be the best size to use given that they are going into breeze block.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Well I think most people just use plugs and screws - that's all I use for brick or concrete block applications. Take a look at http://www.aerialsandtv.com/poletests.html#BracketsAndPolesOnTest - he's only using 50mm screws, I personally use longer screws because ...
Over the years, I've had occasional problems where the load is being taken by the rendering or plaster (internal applications) and not the brick/block behind it - with the risk that the render/plaster gets pulled off the brick/block. Also, I've had situations where the plaster "bursts" as the plug is expanded. So my preference is to push the plug in so it's in the brick/block and clear of the render/plaster - but that needs a longer screw for the plug to work properly.

So my choice, this style of plug & screw http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinecableandmisc.html#WallAnchors
But I tend to buy them in bags or 50 or 100 (I use them at work, generally not for aerials). I'd look to use a 50mm plug, push it something like 10-20mm below the render surface, and use a 70mm screw. If there's no render, then just a 50mm screw and leave the plug flush.
That's all I used at my parents (rendered wall, concrete blocks), with something like a 20foot pole with the biggest Yagi Aerials and TV sell (about 6 foot long) at the top of it. It's been up for a few years now and I'd be more worried about the wall itself failing than the plugs coming out.
And I used their galvanised brackets as well.

The fact that you are asking such a basic question before you start shows why you should be paying extra for a professional installation. I take it you have the proper signal measuring equipment etc that can measure BER etc.
Of course you realise a 12 foot alloy pole will need guying if you don't want it crashing through your daughter's roof on the next windy day.

Thanks for the replies.

SimonH2 - I looked at the coach bolts and plugs but thought these might not be strong enough for the size of bracket and pole, however it's reasuring to hear of your own experience.
The website that you link to has some excellent information.

Sponsored Links
The length, diameter and weight of the pole are a minor part of the equation as to how to fit the pole to the wall.

You must take into account the wind loading on the aerial which involves wind speed, it's prevailing direction and the size of the aerial.

Aerials and their masts can vibrate in the wind, vibration carried into the wall can cause crumbling in soft block work around the screw fixings. Over time, months or years the fixings can come loose.

Once again thanks to everyone for their advice.

My own aerial was installed by a local contractor 16 years ago. 18" T & K brackets, 8 Ft x 2" pole and I have had no problems with it.

However most contractors in my daughters area appear to want on average £140 and up for the installation to a single TV point, and I doubt they would take it into the loft and run it down the inside of the wall to hide the cabling (3 floor house).

As I have bought or got lying about most of the stuff required I reckon that I have spent less than £120 on putting a power supply in the loft for the PSU for the masthead amplifier (Antiferance 8 output), HD100 coax, shotgun cable for SKY (should she want this installed at a later time), T & K bracket, mast and finally the aerial.

I'm pretty confident in installing the equipment however wanted to seek advice as to the best fixings for the T & K brackets as most of the sites appear pretty confident that coach bolts and wall plugs are sufficient.

Yes, get those 10mm plugs with 8mm screws fitted properly and the wall will give way before the fixings. I vaguely recall A&TV having a bit where they tested the pullout strength by pulling a screw out of a wall with a car - I think it did eventually pull out, taking part of the brick with it.
Mum's has been up for a few years now with no problems - and as I say, a stonking great 6foot long Yagi on a tall pole. Did another for a friend, again another big Yagi on a tall pole. I made a point of mounting them a bit down the wall as, TBH, I was actually worried about the possibility of pulling the apex of the gable end off if mounted too high up. Dad was originally talking of putting it above the window before I suggested that the wall probably isn't all that strong there.
100_1342.JPG
100_1344.JPG

As it is, it's fairly easy to work on there, using "not too high" ladders, it's possible to slacken the bolts and slide the pole down until someone on the ground can take control of it and lower it all the way - that's how we put it up, stood on the ground, lifted it up vertical, put the V-bolts on slack to control it, then lifted it up, fixing the cable as we went. When I took these photos, I hadn't finished clipping the cable up - I didn't leave it like a washing line :whistle:

EDIT - The aerial was originally on the chimney, but when the old one packed in it was just a right PITA to get to. I did get a quote from a local installer, but had no confidence he wouldn't fit another "bacofoil" job, or bodge it like the previous one which wasn't wired correctly and had a hole drilled in the terminal box to let water in :confused:

Don't forget that you can significantly reduce the loadings on the brackets by spacing them well apart - I believe the recommended minimum is 1/5 of the total pole length between the brackets. Further apart won't do any harm - but looks odd and means a longer pole.

There's always some debate, but IMO the K bracket goes at the bottom. The idea is that the K bracket takes all the weight, and so the pole needs to be very well clamped to it. The pole only needs to be clamped to the T bracket tight enough to stop it sliding around. I think A&TV have some images where the pole has folded over at the top bracket, possibly because it's been "nipped" a bit by an over-tight V bolt which will very significantly weaken the pole - and I've seen one or two for myself where this has happened.

And lastly, when I fitted both of them, I used copious amounts of sealant round the bolts and behind the brackets so no water can get into the bolt holes and freeze the render off. And does it need saying - only use hot dip galv brackets unless you want "coffee stains" down the wall :rolleyes:

Thanks again Steve.

Thats some size of pole.

Good tip about the sealant.

Don't forget that you can significantly reduce the loadings on the brackets by spacing them well apart - I believe the recommended minimum is 1/5 of the total pole length between the brackets.
Correct. The 1:5 ratio is confirmed in the Kindle book that I linked to, above.

Also you should fit end caps to the pole - unless you enjoy howling noises each time the wind blows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back