Aerial Power Supply from Lighting

I recently fitted the existing amplifier supply in a customer's loft. I believe that the electrician took the socket off the lighting ring. Previously, the power supply had been plugged in to a socket on the first floor but that was the only room that the customer no longer wanted an aerial in. There was no space behind any of the 3 wall mount tv.s to plug the amplifier supply.

Sponsored Links
It is very unlikely the lighting circuit is a ring - almost certainly a radial circuit.

Ring is not just another word for circuit.

Could be someone like you panicking over nothing.
Says the person who baulks at the (allowed by wiring regulations) practice of connecting a BS1363 socket to a lighting circuit.

Winston, you are going to have to stop your wife going up in the loft and plugging her MIG welder into the socket for the TV amplifier.

Sponsored Links
Says the person who baulks at the (allowed by wiring regulations) practice of connecting a BS1363 socket to a lighting circuit.

Has it occurred to you the regs may be wrong? Just like they were with 1.0mm2 cable or the spacing of bathroom sockets which have now been corrected in the latest amendment.

Do you know what “wire less” means? There are no wires between the base and the toothbrush. Wire less.

The sockets on my loft are off the power ring.
You have a power ring circuit? Surely that's a waste of Earths resources?
Why what are you running in your loft that makes it necessary to introduce more power circuits and use up valuable Earths resources?
Surely the 5.8A spare on the lighting circuit is adequate for pretty much anything that needs to be powered in there. Except of course your illicit wacky baccy plants.

You have a power ring circuit? Surely that's a waste of Earths resources?
Why what are you running in your loft that makes it necessary to introduce more power circuits and use up valuable Earths resources?
Surely the 5.8A spare on the lighting circuit is adequate for pretty much anything that needs to be powered in there. Except of course your illicit wacky baccy plants.
All the sockets in my bungalow are fed from the loft. Having solid floors makes it the best way of doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back