aerial problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house, the aerial is on top of the chimney. I can only pick up standard tv and not free view so assume i will need a new compatible aerial. Unfortunately i do not have ladders long enough to replace the existing one. So going to fit one in the loft, what is the best way to connect it to the tv down stairs making the cable as discreet as discreet as possible. The existing cable seems to come into the house at the tip of the roof i have gone into the loft but can not find the cable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you intend to stay in the property for a few years & you dont intend going dish or cable, I think it would be worth having a proper aerial installed.

Yes will be stopping for a few years. Had someone round the other day but he kept messing up around and it didn't get done. We have a sky dish at our old house, although we will not be signing up to sky would it be worth while bringing the old dish and using this as the receiver

Loft aerials are never as good as roof mounted ones. The roof knocks the signal down quite a lot, and this gets worse when it rains. I proper outdoor aerial is the way to go, and some new downlead while you are at it.

The existing downlead might disappear in to the wall cavity.

Sponsored Links
Loft aerials do work well

I moved in last year and didn’t want to get on the roof so went for loft aerial

Im currently 18-20 miles from crystal palace in Essex with an anitferrence
Group A aerial and a loft box with proper ct100 coax I receive all the HD channels on my Humax pvr

If you buy the right gear (i.e. the right group aerial for your transmitter and use proper ct100coax) you can achieve good results

Regards

CT100 hasn't been manufactured since 2005. :rolleyes:
Try a modern cable such as WF100.

Loft aerials only "work well" where there's a decent signal and lack of interference. I've seen plenty of installations where that wasn't the case.

No harm in trying, however. You can shove any aerial in the loft and see what you get. Positioning can be very critical so don't give up if the first choice of position gives poor results. Point it through tiles, not brick or stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back