advice for new tv aerial setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Need some advice on my tv aerial setup in the new house.

I'll be doing this all by myself but need some advice.

Living room has no tv aerial socket so I need to patch it down to there somehow, I have a loft aerial and this only feeds into the tv aerial socket in the main bedroom. I believe I have 2 options:

1. From the main bedroom, split the connection there and run the extra connection out the window (use to be a satelite cable hole) down to the ground and back into the house (living room) then just cable tidy it around the door and back into the TV

2. Split the cable at the aerial in the loft, leave the bedroom one as it is but run the extra cable somehow out the roof down to the ground and into the house (living room) and cable tidy it around the door to the TV.

I know both will need to power the cables, in the loft theres no 3 PIN socket to use and I'm not sure where to patch an extra power socket.

The bedroom method there is a spare 3 PIN socket so can power it from there.

Now I need advice on which method is better in terms of getting best reception with minimal hassle? I also need to know what cable I should get, DB gain thingy and possible a new loft aerial. I have a DVT signal checker so I can see if the current loft aerial is any good (not fiddled with it yet it) but initial test shows only 1 green light out of 5. The area can recieve all freeview channels.

Please advise!

Sponsored Links
are you sure theres no socket have you looked in corners for furniture covering a wall plate with a round hole in it

look in place you would put a normal tv in a corner usually possibly directly below the one up stairs

I checked when the house was completely empty and no aerial socket. Even the loft only has 1 cable going out and seems to lead to the bedroom. I'll try look again but it's not in any obvious place.

Sponsored Links
it would seem very strange not to go down stairs unless the have virgin or sky down stairs :eek:

it would seem very strange not to go down stairs unless the have virgin or sky down stairs :eek:

Well they had sky installed to all the rooms (satelite cable in all rooms) i guess they did this because there was no aerial socket??

I'm planning to remove the sky dish and cables at some point as I dont need satelite TV, just freeview is enough.

So you think its def a tv socket there somewhere? The loft aerial only has 1 cable going toward the bedroom.

if sky was fitted to all the rooms connect the aerial to the sky and it should work providing its isolated from unnesisery equipment and continuous

Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin who tried to connect an aerial to the sky and got a bit of a shock in the thunderstorm?

i dont think a satelite dish will work for freeview, freesat yes but not freeview.

Either way, I've bought a 4 way amplifier splitter from amazon, will try the short way of ampping the bedroom one to go downstairs.

If that fails, I'll need to split it at the loft aerial and bring it back down, either way i just want good reception.

Yes it seems the house did have sky and every room has a satelite cable in the room.

i dont think a satelite dish will work for freeview, freesat yes but not freeview.

Either way, I've bought a 4 way amplifier splitter from amazon, will try the short way of ampping the bedroom one to go downstairs.

If that fails, I'll need to split it at the loft aerial and bring it back down, either way i just want good reception.

Yes it seems the house did have sky and every room has a satelite cable in the room.

think off a motorway and connecting roads
you remove the roads you dont need and connect the new roads to the bits you need
its coax cable you just rerout it away from the old equipment[the dish]
bring it into the room upstairs an use it to feed down stairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back