age of boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i have a vokera excell 80sp, about 6 weeks ago i fitted a mixer tap with shower and untill a couple of days ago every thing was fine, water would heat up, get in shower and temp would stay more or less consant over the ten so minute i was in the shower, now it gets luke warm for about 30 seconds the clap cold for 30, then hot for 30, then cold for 30 then luke warm for30 and so on
i bought the house about a year ago so no idea how old the boiler is, so i guess the question is: any idea how old it is and would it be worth getting it serviced or should i start saving for a new one?
any help greatly appresated and thanks an advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
There is a "design fault" with your model and a part needs changing every 1-2 years.

We charge £106 in the London area for the first time and £96 subsequently.

Apart from that the boiler is very reliable and there is no point in changing it. They were made between about 1994 and 1998 I would guess.

Tony

how quick was that reply!?!?!
cheers chap, will see about getting on to a plumber tomorrow, could you tell me what part it is so i can TRY and not get robbed

Cheers, Chris

Sponsored Links
Yes! 98% of the time you won't get ripped off if you're a nice chap. If you come across as someone who wants to be an accusing pita then there's always that extra part you need because there's one spare in the van...
Most of us will happily explain in principle what we're doing and why, in a way you can follow.

kevplumb said:
ohh what an attitude to have when asking advice :rolleyes:

prune stop watching the cheaply made rubbish bad television shows

whats the crack with this then? if its about the " i'll TRY and not get robbed " bit then the reason why is that the last time i was ringing round for a plumber was told by people at 4 different numbers of four different adverts in the yellow pages that they were all part of the same company and that that the £85 call out and the £110 an hour labour plus parts was the best and cheapest i would get, needless to say i didn't want to be robbed and finally found a good plummer for £55
i'm not a nasty person and am sorry if i came accross that way.

Cheers, Chris

I'm in Yorkshire and I charge £45 first hour £15 per 15 minutes thereafter. Parts at cost.

Most of the guys round here charge similar amounts the man who trained me who had 25 years with the gas board only charges £35 and fixes most faults in that time, I never saw him fail on any fault.

Was out of phone range (in Kilham) and a regular customer didn't have the patience to wait. They phoned some sort of National response company and were charged £180 for a new TC.

The moral is support local businesses, treat them well and they will treat you well.

Last two days I worked my butt off removing a cylinder and an old heavyweight boiler, powerflushing fitting trv's new boiler complexed fluing to meet current standards, and I didn't get one cup of tea the full two days. Many customers today have no idea. Do you imagine these things aren't noted?

don't suppose your anywhere near wakefield are you mr barker sir, funnlly enough i've just got a new kettle ;) ;)

Cheers, Chris

I hope that Paul has made a mistake and actually charges £45 for the first half hour!

Of course, Paul is honest and charges reasonable rates and does the job quickly and efficiently.

Today, I went to this lady to whom I was recommended by a Professor often heard on R4. She had been charged £55 by someone who did not fix it and just recommended a new boiler for £2000. Another recommended person had come and failed to fix it too. It took me 45 min and cost her our standard £84 diagnostic charge. She made me a nice cup of coffee and gave me three plants. She also used to work for the BBC ! I am sure she will recommend us in future.

Tony

Gota tel ya 2 weeks ago went to rented house for bbu to combi change .2 of us there 4 2 -12hr days. No brew's but also had to drain & fill rads as couple in bed nxt to rad all day. lazy gits. You wouldnt beleive i dropped air vent as well .trying to find it with one hand with curtains shut & no light on. At least there was no movement from the covers or i'd of walked.

chris24 said:
don't suppose your anywhere near wakefield are you mr barker sir, funnlly enough i've just got a new kettle ;) ;)

Cheers, Chris

Sorry it's big county, I'm where half of Glasgow comes for a holliday, they have a sort of week off together in Glasgow and dp is left bereft of customers 'cause they are lining the golden mile in Scarborough. Apart from that week we are a quaint little old town with hardly any population, all of whom are on minimum wage, so there is no money about, and there are plenty of summer season cheffs and waiters that turn their hand to building work for cash off season which drives the prices of all building trade related work right down.

me again chaps, my friendly plumber has been to my friendly house to see friendly me and he said that when the water is turned on the boiler is feeding the heating as well as the water to the tap, the bit that is broke is a big red valve (and now me) and will cost £400ish to fix, i am told the thing is not worth it and the way to go is a new condensing boiler for about £1800 fitted with new radiator valve's and the like

Cheers, Chris

i agree with the absence of Tea.

best one, i went to a job and said it needs a new one, and i arranged a date, as i was leaving i said, oh, and i drink black coffee no sugar.

on the day, every 40 mins, black coffee, no sugar, i stayed all day

When you are quoted silly prices I hope that Paul will travel the few extra miles and do it for little more than half that price!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back