Ahhh help, removed wallpaper to reveal plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the above says just removed wallpaper in new house, as i was removing it realised that the paint below started to lift to reveal plasterboard, not all areas, it appears that the walls have some plaster on them, maybe on joints, here the paint has stayed put without any problems.

My Question is, can i paint straight onto plasterboard, how to i get a smooth finish between the plasterboard and the old paint as there is probably 0.5-1mm step.

I have read on this forum i can use 50-50 mix of matt paint to seal? Is this all i need to do? Why did the old paint lift off of the plasterboard?

I thank you all in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though the walls have not been plastered :?: I have hung lots of wallpaper and never directly onto plasterboard as its just not the done thing. :rolleyes:

Even the thickest wallcoverings show through, so the worse your wall smoothness, the worse your end paper will be.

I would pesonally forget trying to fill a 1mm gap with paint and call in a plasterer to skim the walls for you. A good plasterer will do this in a few hours at most.

Once the plaster is dry 'Size' the walls thoroughly and hang your paper.

Top Notch Job..... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Thanks gary.

After searching frantickly around the forum i have come up with the following approaches:

Oh by the way the paper was applied over an already painted wall?

1. Polyfill the areas that are not skimmed/plastered and then sand all the wall and prime then paint 2 layers

2. Prime whole wall with primer and then Line the wall with liner 800-1400 weight.

I know the later will probably mean a better finish but i have never hung wall paper in my life, however i have done cement rendering before, but i have been told this is easier than plastering.

The wall has some areas which are plastered? and some which arent? maybe they plastered the joints? and feathered is out onto bare plasterboard?

At the moment the wall is patchy some with paint some without.

By far the easiest way of repapering is the way I have told you, plasterers are also much quicker than all that messing about with backing paper, which I refuse to use point blank.

Think about it, if you have it plastered the next job you need to do is Size the wall and hang the paper. Also having this done is also an investment that will last for years.

If you start trying to level the walls with all the other options, you'll be there for an age. Experience has taught me not to waste my time messing around when I am about to wallpaper, although if you do take this option you will learn first hand and then probably decide to never go down this route again. ;)

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Gary i am not going to be re-wall-papering

I was going to be painting.

Cost will be the ultimate deciding factor and having just moved in there are far more things on the cost priority list like washing machine, fridge etc :(

I know where you are coming from but to skim the entire living room will cost a small fortune?

Sorry Adrian, I'm a bit of a wallpaper fiend.

In that case, it's gonna be good old fashioned elbow grease, filler, sander, paint and probably a fair amount of cursing..... ;)

£200 tops to skim a room, £100 by a Bosnian

Good Luck

Yes the plasterboard needs to be 'Bonded'

You do this by mixing 1 part PVA glue to 10 parts water and painting over the plasterboard, drys in minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back