Air Admittance valve in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A flat with two floors above. One 40mm waste pipe to a common stack from shower tray and one 32mm pipe teed into this from from the basin. The stack only takes baths and basins. An AAV would improve the speed of flow from the bathroom shower tray. The AAV would be above the basin water level. The AAV is supposed to be above the the highest water level, usually the basin. In flats that is not the case with the common stack, unless you are on the top floor.

I see that this company
https://www.studor.net/high-rise-applications
had them fitted in a block in Manchester.

Has anyone done this? Are AAVs allowed in flats?

thx

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Any old irony? :LOL: I see you don't know either. But this is the Plumber's forum.

No it's not... it's a diy forum and this is the plumbing & heating section.

So you have no experience of this either. Why do they bother!

Unfortunately, you directed us to a companies site, rather than a specific product that you wished to discuss. I had a look at the products, and saw what I suspect you are suggesting will cure the problem, but I reckon that you could get away with an AAV in the basin waste instead.

Doggit, thanks. My query is that, are AAVs legal in flats with a common stack? The company site. The product is placed below the highest water level, below the basin. This is a US company but sells in the UK. In the flat I am on about the AAV will be above the basin, but the common stack mean it is below the highest water level which is in the flats above.

I can't answer that one unfortunately, but I can't see why not. The common stack is outside the property, and it's inside that you've got to deal with. The AAV won't admit any smells into the flats below the top one, so it shouldn't be an issue. But if you ask nicely, I'm sure one of the more knowledgable posters here will tell you. On the other hand. If the company is using the Manchester site to push their wares, then it's got to be fairly legal.

AAVs are always to be above the highest water level, usually the basin. I assume to avoid water getting under the valve seating. In theory, in flats all those below the top floor can have water under the seating. A very rare event of course. I suppose having an AAV above the basin means that any water entering the flat from above will overspill via the basin anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back