Air admittance valve McAlpine VP50p vs VP100.. which one is better

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have really foul smell coming in the kitchen from last 2 months. Smell doesn't come everyday and every time but most days. Sink has got P traps installed etc and I suspect the air admittance valve has gone wrong.
Soil pipe is terminating inside kitchen just above the sink level and hidden behind square corner box which is now got glass panel on it.
I remember during kitchen renovation, builder guy taken the thermocol cap out of that soil pipe out of curosity and then put it back again. I guess that was air admittance value which has gone wrong due to it, though I'll only find out once I remove the glass panel and cut though plaster board to see it myself.
I remember that thermocol cap looked like one of the plastic caps of McAlpine air admittance valve cap so I think it may just be easy for me (DIY) to pull the existing value and put a new one hoping it is rubber sealed one which can come out with little force without damaging soil pipe from bottom.

I see McAlpine valve VP50P is available for £18 and VP100 for £36 (just double the price)

Are they for exactly same purpose i.e. to plug 110mm "internal" soil pipe?
If yes, is it good to assume VP100 is twice as better than VP50P as it is lot of hassle to remove glass panel so I'd rather put the best one in place hoping it will last for ever. I may put some mineral wool insulation around soil pipe to avoid frost which can damage the valve.
Or any other suggestions?

I am enthusiast DIYer who picks and learn things from internet and useful forum like this so any suggestions appreciated. It's just quite frequent odour which makes me go crazy which especially comes when guests are visiting :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back