Air block from tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a combi for some years now but only just realised that the water cylinder in an upstairs cupboard was getting warm and the tank in the loft still being supplied. The ball valve in the tank has started to fail and sod's law the overflow pipe is leaking so we decided instead of fixing it we'd just empty the tank, turn off the supply and look into getting the tank, cylinder and pipework taken out by a plumber/heating engineer.

Little did we realise that the tank was feeding the bathroom hot water taps. We dug out the original plans for the heating and the engineer (who drew them up) had suggested leaving that connection but gave no reason.

Anyway, we've filled the tank up again but obviously there is a blockage between the tank, the cylinder and the taps.

Is there a easy way to find it and deal with it or do I need to get someone out?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an airlock. Use a hosepipe to connect a cold tap to one of the affected hot taps, turn the hot tap on first, then the cold (you'll need to hold the hose in place) and allow to run for a couple of minutes. You may hear bubbling noises in the cylinder. Turn off the cold tap, then the hot, and remove the hose. Turn on the hot tap to see if it's worked!!

We dug out the original plans for the heating and the engineer (who drew them up) had suggested leaving that connection but gave no reason.
it may well have been because an open-vented cylinder can deliver hot water to bathtaps far faster than an ordinary combi can.

Muggles, the taps are mixers so that fix is not an option.

JohnD, the combi is some distance away so that does seem to make sense.

Sponsored Links
do what muggles said but not use a hose.
providing the cold is mains feed not gravity.

If it's on a mixer tap then this is even easier. Clamp your hand firmly over the spout outlet, turn on the hot side first, then the cold, provided there's no check valve on the hot this will have the same effect as my previous method.

Nobody go anywhere...I'm going to try it now.

guarantee you get wet.
rain-animated-animation-rain-smiley.gif

Put my hand over the outlet, turned on the hot for a moment then switched it to the cold. Held it for a few seconds and then released. How long do I need to hold it for (Doctor)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back