Air brick causing Draught.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I suppose this has been brought up before but I cannot seem to find it.
I have a 1936 town house (mid terrace) with back boiler in the living room. In the opposite corner about 18 inches below the ceiling is a vent and on the outside of the house is an air brick,,, one of those square things with lots of little square holes in it about 2 bricks worth. There are several at ground level and I know they are for keeping the underfloor vented (there is a void under the lounge floor about 2 foot deep). I realise the higher vent is required as airflow for the boiler/open gas fire but after living here for 37 years I am now retired and find the wind blowing in really affects the heat in the room especially if the wind is blowing onto the front of the property. Would it be okay to put a cowl/hood type of cover on the outside,, I have seen them on fleabay that slope from top to leave a large gap at the bottom but wondered if they would make the problem worse by funneling the wind.
Sure someone out there can help me
thanks
Robert

Sponsored Links
You are living with 1930s technology, when people were more hardy and fuel was cheaper.
I would block off the high level vent and replace it with vents in the floor either side of the chimney breast. This will ensure that the path for the cold air does not flow past your head on its way to the fire. This will actually as a side effect improve the underfloor ventilation, as the draw from the fire will suck air out of the underfloor void , even when there is no wind.
In a previous house I actually cut an air pipe in through the fire hearth to suck air from under the floor and this was for a 120,000 BTHu boiler. it was too effective and had to be partially blocked else the suction due to the high flue would blow out the pilot.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the replies. The fire sits on a concrete plinth and the alcoves either side are boxed in with with a brick feature. Also that wall backs onto the entry, so, whilst the underfloor void is well ventilated, I would worry about a build up of carbon monoxide if I closed off the existing vent which is why I am asking if it would compromise the required airflow by fitting a cowl/hood over the existing air brick.
Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back