Reducing draught from air brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terraced house (built around 1900). My office is upstairs and has an air brick near the ceiling. I'm convinced that the office is colder than most of the other rooms in the house because of the air brick. I don't want to get rid of the air brick, but can I part-fill it with something like loft insulation material to reduce the draught in the winter? What would be a suitable material?

Sponsored Links
Loft insulation will be fine, or even bubble wrap if you have any;)

Old houses were built with a fireplace in some rooms and air bricks in the others.
We chucked a brick and a lump of insulation in ours and plastered over it.
You may need to cut down on generating moisture to avoid condensation, or you could install one of those piv units in the loft to force the air outwards (presume it's the draught in that's the complaint)

Sponsored Links
Sometimes a small bit of ply stood off the wall will prevent drafts while keeping ventilation
You can also buy plastic units that include a sliding closure fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back