Air Brick Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I had a new block paved drive fitted a couple of years ago and they raised the level of the ground by a couple of inches, meaning two (already low) airbricks were covered or partially covered. They kept a trench around the air brick (first photo) and filled it with gravel, they said, to aid drainage. I have noticed damp recently inside the house around where the air brick is and so dug out the gravel, which seemed to stop the problem reoccuring.

My problem now is how to cover the trnech they left. My idea is to cement a one brick high border (photo 2) around it, to stop water that runs down the driveway from going intot the hole and then put a wire mesh over the top to stop leaves, and general rubbish from filling the hole. Do you think this would be acceptable or does the hole need a full cover to stop rainwater entering directly as it falls? ie a plastic drain cover?

I know now that they should never have covered the air bricks but it's done sadly, and taking up the drive really isn't a feasible option.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Normally the air brick sits above the DPC level, if your DPC is burried under the driveway then you are going to get problems unless you take measures to stop the water coming in (ie tanking etc).

They never should have covered over the air brick. If the DPC is a couple of courses above the driveway then you can put in a telescopic air vent to vent your ground floor space.

thanks for the quick reply. So would one of these telescopic air vents just cover the exsting airbrick you can see in the photo and then sit in the trench that's been left?

Nope, you would need to remove some of the bricks in the wall to install the air brick higher up then the telescopic part would link in the cavity to the under floor void..

All of this will depend on where your DPC is.. if they have buried it then you need to get that sorted as well..

Sponsored Links
i think the dpc on that side of the house is buried. This all sounds very costly and time consuming!! From an amateurs point of view, all a bit overwhelming :(

Go back to the block paving company and ask them why they didn't dig out enough earth to get the resultant paving at the right level?

Unless there's a bloody good reason they've done you a big disfavour... Lazy bar stewards.

can you post some pics up as from what your saying it dosnt sound to good, your new blockpaving should be below your dpc level and your air bricks should not be blocked

It should be below your dpc by at least 2 brick courses.
Are they a 'reputable' company or a local firm who advertise in the local paper/sweet shop? If the latter you could have a problem to get them to do anything. One possible recourse may be to get an independent surveyor to have a look and give you a report as to whether it has been done correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back