Air Brick Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding air bricks.
My semi detached has airbricks at about head height in all the rooms. Previous occupants have most of these in. The surveyor didn't pick up on them in the survey.

I have one in the back bedroom which was just papered over by the previous owner and I was wondering if I could block it completely.

Do they server a purpose? Can I block them? There are open airbricks under the floor.

Sponsored Links
Are the air brick in line the floor joists and does it goes through to the inner wall as well?

Or does it come into the room?

I'm not sure if they're in line with the floor joists as they are five feet in the air and the floor is covered.

They do come through to the inside. The walls are not vaity walls apparently, they are just 2 brick thick.

Is that enough information? They just look weird...

To be on a safe side I can't tell you without looking at it, best to give the BCO a ring and they will have your drawing plan when your house was built and they should be able to tell the reason for it.

Sponsored Links
It does seem strange. The only reason I can see for them being there is because each room has an open fireplace and it was to give the room some fresh air.

Now that we have central heating etc it does seem like we can cover them up. The rooms which have been covered up have no damp or anything.

Thanks anyway.

By the way I meant they weren't cavity walls, not vaity or whatever I put.

paul.freeland said:
It does seem strange. The only reason I can see for them being there is because each room has an open fireplace and it was to give the room some fresh air.
That's correct, BCO do asked for background ventilation for open fireplaces or gas fire, it help to draw air through the chimney. The air brick are normally just above floor level.

they often used to put air bricks at that height to help with through ventilation for the fires. If youve got none it can be quite safely blocked up. just make sure youve got enough down below

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back