Air Bricks ventilation of airflow under new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having a lean-to conservatory built at the rear of an Edwardian terraced house. Nothing fancy, just a roof, concrete floor and dwarf wall with glazed frontage. The sides to be existing fire-break and house walls. The surveyor has completed his drawings and sent them for my approval.
He has drawn in an extension (I believe this is usually done with a 4” pipe embedded in the new concrete floor) to the airbrick (no 1) so that it emerges in the open air. This newish airbrick was lowered when an exit door was installed some years ago, and is 2cms from the floor, 4cms in height and the standard 8” wide. However, he stated that the same procedure would ‘not be possible’ with the other existing airbrick (no 2) as it was the Edwardian original, 2” from the floor and 3” in height – again it is 8” wide. He said because it was higher - total from floor to top of brick 5” as against 2.36”, the airbrick would have to be vented into the conservatory: a closed space with no appreciable external airflow.
I was always taught that the airbricks front and rear of a terraced property needed to be open to the elements so that whichever way the wind blew it would ventilate the underside of the timber flooring. This will not happen if one side is enclosed and seems to be a recipe for damp and wood rot.
Is there a remedy for this problem that I can discuss with the builder when he arrives to do the surveyor’s instructions? Can not the air flow through the ‘higher’ (no 2)airbrick be directed via a cowl or special ‘Z’ shaped plastic fitting onto a lower level and thence through the 4” pipe arrangement into the outside air? Admittedly airflow will be somewhat constricted by the 90 degree turns, but surely much better than just ending up in stationary air?

Sponsored Links
The height of the air brick is irrelevant.

What your builder should do, is bang a new hole through the house wall at a lower level than that air brick and put the new duct pipe through under the new floor, through into your under floor void. Then block up/remove the existing air brick.

And use one of those plastic fittings you mention on the new outer wall to connect the duct pipe to an air brick above ground level - on the course below DPC normally.

The builder should know this if he is a builder.

I've come across a number of instances where conservatory/extensions have blocked ventilation on one side and caused the suspended timber floor to rot due to lack of air-movement.

I am not quite following what you describe, however...

You want through airflow as you have gathered.

Bends in the ducts are not ideal, but some the of the air movement is also driven by pressure differences and not just physical wind 'blowing' through, consider increasing the number of vents to counteract their lower effectiveness.

He said / the airbrick would have to be vented into the conservatory

1. Not considered ventilation (for the reason you fathomed).
2. You do not want warm air entering the underfloor void as this will add to the risk of condensation, vents into the conservatory may allow airflow in either direction.
3. Holes into cold spaces in your insulated building, bit of a flaw that.

All round bad idea.

My thanks to you two gents. 'Venting' into the enclosed conservatory is a definate no-no then, for the very clear reasons that you outline. I'll discuss all this with the builder when he arrives and work out how to overule the surveyor's bad advice - unprofessional advice, I'd say.

Sponsored Links
Hi i have this same problem. Airbrick vents into conservatory from a block and beam sub floor. There is no allowance under conservatory floor to add anything to allow airbrick to vent outside conservatoty.

If your house is still standing and you are not in a Radon area, then unless you want to rip the floor up, then you can live with it.

How would i know if its in a radon area please? I dont think it is according to radon map i googled

Last edited:
Thanks. By the way...why would a local builder say house is block and beam when old surveyor report says its a timber suspended construction with chipboard decked out over floor joists?

One of them is wrong.

If this is not post-1980 house, then its more likely to have a timber floor.

Seeing if tiles can be lifted and a chanel dug out of concrete floor to house piping from airvent to outside conservatory. Also found that another was bricked up when doorway created from house to conservatory ! Other than rebuild conservatogry..having just replaced old one not sure there is much to be done!

Is it acceotable to add another airbrick to outside house wall adjacent to and outside of the conservatory in place of the one in the conservatory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back